We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shigella

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, OH
reviews: 1
Shigella

Did anyone else contract the Shigella bacteria at the Bahia Principe during the week of December 13-December 20? I became extremely sick on the last day of our trip and was nearly in shock by the time i got to a hospital. I do not know how i got it, but the most likely cause was from contaminated food. It took nearly 3 weeks for me to start feeling fine and just want to warn those that are going to be extremely careful what you eat. Had i gotten this earlier in the week, I could have had some major complications arise

Pennsylvania
reviews: 6
1. Re: Shigella

So it's like food poisning? WHAT exactly are you saying to stay away from eating? Could taking any type of meds eliminted the chances of getting this baterial infection or what? Sorry - confused a little bit.

Kitchener,Ontario
2. Re: Shigella

I hear to stay away from salads as they may be washed with local water. Also yogourt as it sits too long in the heat. Brush your teeth and drink from bottled water. I think acidopholus is good to take as it introduces good bacteria to fight the bad.

Cleveland, OH
3. Re: Shigella

It can be contracted numerous ways- contaminated food, swimming in community pools or even from insect bites. Pets can also contract it. If you get it through the food it acts as an acute food poisoning, hitting you within 3-8 hours after eating. leads to extreme abdominal cramping, severe dehydration, high fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. you can attempt to prevent it by preloading with antibiotics. I ate pretty normal food- never drank unbottled water, or even ask ice in my drinks, avoided all fruit juices. Be careful at the "outside restaurants" where food is able to sit out. however, the scary thing is that the way you get it is when an infected person is unsanitary and handles your food. so, even though i practice good hygiene, i still ate the food. must have just been a freak accident

london,Canada
reviews: 24
4. Re: Shigella

Just read your posting-first I've heard of a name put to it. My family and I were at the Riu Mambo Dec13-20and everyone but me in my group were ill with same symptons. Alot of people there were ill at the same time. I'm wondering if all the hotels are supplied by the same company for their water? Other people were ill at other resorts in Puerto Plata area as well!!!!!! Somthing is seriously wrong when you are told food and beverages are safe to consume and so many people are getting so ill. I drank mostly tea-the others in my family had the same drink from the pool bar and that evening they were severely ill.Didn't feel well for next 5 days of our holiday and even a week later at home very little appetite.

Woodstock, Ontario
5. Re: Shigella

I also contracted shigella form the Bahai Principe in Punta Cana. We were there form Dec. 12 until Dec. 19th. On return I was hospitalized where lab tests confirmed the presence of the shigela bacteria. Was violently ill and am still not completely recovered. BEWARE!

Woodstock, Ontario
6. Re: Shigella

Sorry forgot something!

Shigella bacteria pass from one infected person to the next. Shigella are present in the diarrheal stools of infected persons while they are sick and for a week or two afterwards. Most Shigella infections are the result of the bacterium passing from stools or soiled fingers of one person to the mouth of another person. This happens when basic hygiene and handwashing habits are inadequate. It is particularly likely to occur among toddlers who are not fully toilet-trained. Family members and playmates of such children are at high risk of becoming infected.

Shigella infections may be acquired from eating contaminated food. Contaminated food may look and smell normal. Food may become contaminated by infected food handlers who forget to wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom. Vegetables can become contaminated if they are harvested from a field with sewage in it. Flies can breed in infected feces and then contaminate food. Shigella infections can also be acquired by drinking or swimming in contaminated water. Water may become contaminated if sewage runs into it, or if someone with shigellosis swims in it.

Sooooo......difficult to say how I or anyone else at the bahai contracted it...just hope no one else has to suffer!!

Cleveland, OH
7. Re: Shigella

SickfromShigella- can you remeber where you ate on Thursday, December 16th and Friday December 17th? I am trying to figure out how we might have got this. Since i didn't get sick until Sunday night, I figure I got it one of these days. Thursday ate breakfast at the buffet, lunch at the pavillion by the beach and dinner at the buffet. Friday was the same for breakfast and lunch, but we ate dinner at the steakhouse. my wife reminded me that we ate salads for the first time that night, also the first time i at any type of red meat. lets see if we can figure this out so we can let people know to be as careful as possible, even though with all the causes of this infection, it may be unavoidable at times.

Woodstock, Ontario
8. Re: Shigella

Zoom 2299, I have also tried to trace where and what I ate. In our family, fortunately I was the only one infected with the shigella bacteria. We ate mainly breakfast at the Italian, lunch at the outdoor beach restaurant, and dinner at the main buffet. On Saturday evening, for a special night out, my daughter and I ate at the Steakhouse. She ate chicken and I ate steak. Before we left on Sunday evening to the airport, we quickly grabbed dinner at the main buffet. Although we all ate, I was the only one who tried the pork roast from the carving area. The following evening I was hospitalized here in Canada. I think we could drive ourselves insane attempting to pinpoint where we contracted this awful sickness! I think it is possible that some of the illness people are mentioning could be shigellosis(maybe a milder form), just it's always easier to blame the individual (say for overindulgence, lack of control, or sun sickness- I am not a doctor, just my own personal thought). Even one person contracting this illness should be enough for the Bahai Principe to ensure stricter enforcement of personal hygeine, as well as food preparation. My doctor has advised me that I could be affected for as long as six months... hope you are feeling better!

boston, ma
reviews: 8
9. Re: Shigella

Hi all - what do you take to get rid of this??? Just wondering if I could get any meds ahead of time "just in case....."

Cleveland, OH
10. Re: Shigella

I think the steakhouse may be the culprit- my wife had very mild symptoms, and i also ate steak and she did not, she did have a bite of my food though. it just seems to me that if 2 of us got it that we aren't the only ones, and many people can get it without serious symptoms, unfortunately for you and me we suffered badly. I still have a very poor appetite and have lost a lot of weight, my energy is still not where it should be and it is true, our digestive and intestinal systems can be messed up for months to come. good luck on the recovery. As for those interested in preventions- talk to your doctor- there may be an antibiotic that can be taken. other than that i have no advice, those of us who were infected only have to thank that nice employee who failed to wash his hands, actually when you think of how this bacteria is passed it is quite disturbing.