We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DR versus Mexico

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
DR versus Mexico

Hi all.

Wondering what your thoughts were regarding the comparison between Mexican AI resorts and those found in the DR. We're comparing the Mayan Riviera to places like Secrets. Both seem great and somewhat similarly priced, but for a guy who's planning his honeymoon, and having never been to any tropical place, what's the deal? More specifically, are the beaches as nice? Food? Service? Also, what specific AIs would you recommend for a couple of honeymooners in their mid 20s looking for that nice balance between doing alot of fun and exciting things in the day as well as night, but also wanting the freedom to do absolutely nothing at all?

Thanks

Portland, OR
reviews: 1
21. Re: DR versus Mexico

I havn't been to Dr yet.. well I guess I was there on a cruise once, forgot about that) going in Nov. But I LOVE the Mayan Riv.. there is so much to do...Playa del Carmen is the coolest town.. Ive hear its grown since I've been there.. all the eco parks they are great... if you want some adventure you have to visit there.... Jungles, beaches and beer.. nothing better..have fun!

Midwest USA
22. Re: DR versus Mexico

I've been to Mexico & the DR several times. The beaches in the DR are much better if you like to wade in, roll with the tide, enjoy the water. Water is calmer in southeast area La Romana area, more surf in Punta Cana. Sand is small, beautiful and doesn't get hot to walk on. In Mexico beaches are a bit rockier & many areas are nice to look at but not good to get in due to lots of seaweed, rocks, etc. If you want to see the sunset from the beach, La Romana DR in Feb offers this, Punta Cana get sunrise, Mayan Rivera gets sunrise. Must go out on boat to see sunset over the ocean from Mayan Rivera or Cozumel. Depends on what's important to you. Cancun beaches also pretty to look at but surf can be rough. My advise is find a resort that has 4 or 5 restaurants for variety if at AI. When booking excursions skip a day in between - one day to relax at resort beach/pool or join in activities without having to be somewhere at a particular time & the next day out & about.

Service was better in DR also. DR people are friendlier than in Mexico - not to say it was unfriendly in Mexico, it wasn't, but more sincere glad you're there attitude in DR.

Some areas on Mayan Riveria (Puerto Aventuras/Akumal) were hit harder by hurricane Emily in 2005. Check status of resort regarding state of repairs to facilities AND gardens.

Midwest USA
23. Re: DR versus Mexico

I've been to Mexico & the DR several times. The beaches in the DR are much better if you like to wade in, roll with the tide, enjoy the water. Water is calmer in southeast area La Romana area, more surf in Punta Cana. Sand is small, beautiful and doesn't get hot to walk on. In Mexico beaches are a bit rockier & many areas are nice to look at but not good to get in due to lots of seaweed, rocks, etc. If you want to see the sunset from the beach, La Romana DR in Feb offers this, Punta Cana get sunrise, Mayan Rivera gets sunrise. Must go out on boat to see sunset over the ocean from Mayan Rivera or Cozumel. Depends on what's important to you. Cancun beaches also pretty to look at but surf can be rough. My advise is find a resort that has 4 or 5 restaurants for variety if at AI. When booking excursions skip a day in between - one day to relax at resort beach/pool or join in activities without having to be somewhere at a particular time & the next day out & about.

Service was better in DR also. DR people are friendlier than in Mexico - not to say it was unfriendly in Mexico, it wasn't, but more sincere glad you're there attitude in DR.

Some areas on Mayan Riveria (Puerto Aventuras/Akumal) were hit harder by hurricane Emily in 2005. Check status of resort regarding state of repairs to facilities AND gardens.

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 8
24. Re: DR versus Mexico

Never been to the D.R yet (going on Oct 29) but have been to Playa del Carmen 4 times - loved it!!!. I'm not sure where the others have been but Playacar (beach) has very soft, white sand - no rocks, no shells, no stones, no seaweed and no creatures to step on. - Beautiful!! The resorts we have stayed in (Riu Yucatan, Riu Tequila and Iberostar Tucan/Quezel) are all worth staying in. Good food, great service, nice resorts - they will do anything for you. Be sure to check out the Riu Palace or the new one (not sure the name) You are 4 minutes from Playa del Carmen and from the ferry to Cozumel. We have been there with our kids and also by ourselves. Any questions let me know liz@cedarwayfloral.com