We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

Can someone give me info on purchasing larimar jewelry? Is there a jeweler near STB where I will be staying? How can you tell if it is real and if you are getting a decent price? Thanks in advance.

miami
reviews: 6
1. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

All i can say to you is

Bargain

Bargain

Bargain

I bought 3 sets of jewelry and they all wanted very different prices, The stone is real pretty but the quality of the setting is really bad, the bracelet broke the first time i wear it

Just shop

We stayed at the Palace Barcelo and they had a market place close by, i think all the resorts have one in walking distance.

Also is money is not an issue on the resorts they have stores with a better quality of jewelry but the price is not negotiable.

Good luck

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

There is a Harrisons on the lower level lobby at STB, they are very reputable..but a bit pricy....

hope this helps,

bb/mt

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
3. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

Lynnelk, if you want to send me an e-mail I can send you some identifying features to look for to know what you're buying, as well as a price guideline. Pictures too!

Let me know if you're interested.

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

P.S. A lot of stuff has been ending up in my Spam filter lately. If you don't hear back from me on this question right away--within a day (it's easy for me to hit "reply" and get it out)--please try again!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

Beware and make sure its not plastic your buying, the stuff they sell on the beach is junk and more then likely plastic. Same thing with amber.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 17
5. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

Yeah. . . . we were warned about plastic, too, and were told to bring a lighter with us if shopping for larimar. If you light a flame under it and it melts, it's plastic. LOL. Just so you know, I didn't try this (I didn't trust any of the vendors at the markets, and the jewelry in the lobby at the resort was too expensive). . . . Some of the vendors that came to our resort lit a flame themselves to show you the quality of their products.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
6. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

I find that most of the larimar IS real. The stuff that is "treated", like cat's eye or similar isn't. It's hard to be sure with amber and I don't recommend buying it on the beach. Be careful with the torch test on your own. If the vendor startles and tries to stop you, it may be that a rookie taking a flame to his wares will ruin the finish on the setting or that a necklace is strung on something flammable. It may not represent that the larimar isn't real though.

Some tests are sure things and foolproof. Others not so much. They say that we can hurt ourselves more than the one we are attacking when we think that keys between our fingers can be used as a weapon. Same thing with the jewelery tests--you've gotta know what you're doing!

If you want to see the pictures and tips that I have as mentioned above, please send me an e-mail (not a PM!).

Kaki

red deer
7. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

I have purchased several pieces from Harrisons and although it is pricey the quality is there and I always get numerous compliments on both the stone and the settings.

Hope that helps

Ontario
reviews: 4
8. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

I've bought a piece at Harrisons on our last two trips. They have a strong reputation.

yorkshire
reviews: 16
9. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

i have bought 3 items from harrisons on previous trips and the quality has been brilliant.

After about 18 months the stone came out of the setting in the first ring, however I took it back on my next visit, no questions asked my ring was re set at no cost to me, the service was great. Also if you do buy from Harrisons and there is a problem you can contact them via their web site and they will arrange for the item to be returned and repaired.

Yeah it is pretty expensive but as previously mentioned i have received many compliments about the items I have.

Massachusetts
reviews: 14
10. Re: Where to purchase larimar jewelry?

I bought my wife Larimar earrings at Harrison's. When dealing with jewelry it is important to buy from a reputable dealer and Harrison's is reputable. I will not buy jewelry from a vendor in NYC, Boston or any other big city and that goes ten fold for the Caribbean or Mexico.

Peace!