We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back from Catalonia

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 16
just back from Catalonia

I just returned Friday from a week at the Catalonia. My family enjoyed staying there. The buffet was pretty good but did get routine after a while. The specialty restaurants were fantastic.

The beach wasn't as bad as I had heard. It was a nice wide white sand beach with lots of palms and papylas. There was more seaweed that in front of the Iberostars but on the other hand our family really enjoyed snorkling right in front of the resort. We saw lots of fish and about 15 different species. We fed them bread from the buffet and they swarmed around us. The activities people always have opportunities to play or just to watch. We met lots of nice people here. We met about 15 other WI people which made it fun. Also talked with some Europeans who were nice. Played a lot of beach volleyball and soccer with them. Yes, there were some rude people who tried to cut in lines or would not care where they walked but I suppose you can find that anywhere. The pool was awesome. It was big and deep and the pool bar was fun. The bartenders worked hard to keep the drinks coming. The rooms were spottless but if you stay with a family, you may end up sharing two twin beds pushed together. We had a nice ocean view. The fridge was stocked every day. We went on the Saona Island trip. The Island is beautiful!!!! The catamaran ride and speed boat ride was fun! The snorkiling with the giant starfish was awesome!! The food on the Island not so goos. I would recommend bringing your own snorkles, they don't provide them-it is worth it. It was a nice relaxing tour. Got a little bored while on the island but overall would recommend it. Sandy

West Bend, Wisconsin
1. Re: just back from Catalonia

Sandy B

We are leaving next week for the Catalonia - what villa/room # did you have as we would like to be close to the beach and pool if possible, and hopefully get an ocean view.....thanks!

Waterloo, ON
2. Re: just back from Catalonia

Hey Sandy, we head out this thursday and are really looking forward to it. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

You said that they didn't supply snorkling equipment. Did you mean the hotel or the Island boat trip? Just wondering if we should get some snorkling equipment for the hotel.

Thanks

Madison, Wisconsin
3. Re: just back from Catalonia

Tanbunz-we had villa # 3 on the 3rd floor. the hike up the stairs got to be a lot at the end of the day by the bar but the view made it worth it. Like the other review said save your chairs by 6 or 6:30 if you want to be at the pool and have a little shade in the afternoon. The chairs get taken fast. We each took a turn getting up early and playing the chair game.

Madison, Wisconsin
4. Re: just back from Catalonia

NoRain, the hotel had snorkling equipment. I don't know how much. I do know a lot of people were snorkling in front of the resort often though so I don't know how hard it was to reserve. Don't forget the bread in a ziplock bag. The Saona Island tour does not provide snorkling equipment. I think you miss out if you don't snorkle in the National Lagoon with the giant starfish. That was a highlight. In our photos of holding up a starfish on the trip the water looks like we were in a huge swimming pool. I would bring my own, kind of a pain but worth it. Sandy

West Bend, Wisconsin
5. Re: just back from Catalonia

SandyB

What room # did you have? I'm trying to send them a fax requesting a certain room # prior to our departure - thanks!

How long was the island trip - all day? How much per person? We are bringing our own snorkeling gear, so that should be good - right?

Madison, Wisconsin
6. Re: just back from Catalonia

Tanbunz, the room # was 0322. We liked having our room by the pool end of the resort. Be prepared that it is a long walk back to the lobby part of the resort. There are occassional trolley that go by and will give you a ride if you flag them down and give them a tip. I'm sure the views in villa 1 would be better than ours even if you want to try. We didn't try it but I really think giving a tip to the person who checks you in would help to get a better room. They take your name then go into another room on the computer and come out with your room number. They first put us in villa 19 but it only had 2 twin beds pushed together for 4 people. So we went back and complained and then got this after being persistant though. In our room, they had 2 twin mattresses pushed together for the bed. There also was an extra twin bed by the window. I know some people had rooms with a King sized bed so that may be of interest to you also. good luck-Sandy

ct
7. Re: just back from Catalonia

Did you find the resort crowded ?

I plan to bring our snorkling equipment .

Was there scuba tanks at the resort ?

?

Also sounds like the pool was packed how was the beach ?

Waterloo, ON
8. Re: just back from Catalonia

Thanks Sandy

Tanbunz, I sent an email to the resort and haven't got one back. Have you?

It's my girlfriends birthday so I tried that angle. Hope it works.

only one and a half sleeps left, leave for the airport at 6:10am on Thursday.

See ya pool side.

West Bend, Wisconsin
9. Re: just back from Catalonia

NoRain,

So far no reply on this end either from my two e-mails I sent to the resort. We will have one person in our party that will be celebrating their birthday while we are there also. I'll buy the first round of birthday shots at the pool bar!

If there is internet access there, and you have any quick tips for getting a decent room send them my way. I will be able to check this up until 4/19 - then we are out of here! Or, send them direct to halfmannt@schencksolutions.com

Thanks!

Waterloo, ON
10. Re: just back from Catalonia

Will do tanbunz!