We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bowmanville, Canada
reviews: 25
HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Has anyone else been reading the reviews lately... I sure hope this isn't what we are going to be in for at the new GBP Bouganville.. !!!!!

Whats everyones thoughts??

Charlene

14 replies to this topic
Mississauga, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Charlene, 2 of those bad reviews are almost identical, word for word.

Oshawa, Canada
reviews: 18
2. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Charlene, I don't stress over these few bad reviews, one is basically a cut and paste of a previous review, and another can't even put an identity to his. I am sorry to say that I find travellers from a certain country, are far more critical than Canadians.

I also believe that some people just read a bad review and only look for the few bad things to complain about, and a few are just plain miserable.

These people have to understand that October and November is hurricane season and has the most rain of any other time of year, thus the storms will churn up the ocean and produce more seaweed.

Can you imagine what would happen if a person from a foreign county went to Disney World and complain that everyone spoke English.

lol, end of my rant!

Peggy

Bowmanville, Canada
3. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Yes, I totally agree. Sometimes I really don't know what some people expect when they go to the Caribbean. If they are wanting "the best of the best" food, then I'm thinking they should probably stay away from the islands... Now with that said.. We've been so lucky on our travels, and have never been disappointed with the food.. Yes sometimes repetitive but it was still good and fresh.

The water being murky, we know we aren't getting the turquoise blue, and if we know this prior to us going.. then what were these others expecting???? because, I'm sure they've read the reviews as well.

I just find it frustrating reading some reviews..

Ok Ok I need my holiday,... real soon!!!

Charlene

Edited: 8:45 pm, October 29, 2013
Oshawa, Canada
4. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

And I really get a chuckle out of people that complain that the staff didn't speak much English! What do they expect, most of the housekeeping and ground staff have no education. School in the DR is not mandatory or government supported and families struggle to feed and clothe the children, let alone pay for education. Most of the grounds keepers are Haitian and they speak French.

We have stayed at a few different AI resorts, always go with an open mind. We have only ever been disappointed once. And it was a smaller 3 star, so we got what we paid for.

LOL. recently read a review on a different island, at a resort that was "budget minded" it only claimed to be a 3 1/2 star. The reviewer was so disappointed in the food, felt they paid so much they should have been served lobster and shrimp daily! Sheesh!

My other issue is with the people that get all upset because they booked a trip and were dissatisfied. The resorts do NOT own the tour companies. Would you complain to a mall management because you were unhappy with one of the stores? Review the tour company, not the resort.

Edited: 10:25 pm, October 29, 2013
Oshawa, Canada
5. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Ta Daa....... three favorable reviews posted this morning.

so many people, so many opinions.

Buckner, Kentucky
reviews: 115
6. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

It just opened last week so I don't know what they are complaining about. I will give a full report when I get back. We are going Nov 26/Dec 2.

Guelph, Canada
reviews: 2
7. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Edmonton mamma, perhaps you should do a little more research before making statements. In Dominican Republic, education is free and compulsory at the elementary level, and free but non mandatory at secondary level. But, students must wear a uniform to attend, which is not provided.

Oshawa, Canada
8. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Ok so I was mistaken about school, it apparently is free and mandatory for children up to the ages of 14. But rules are not enforced, and if parents can not afford the uniform children can not attend.

But my point was ..... are they educated enough to speak English fluently? I believe many of the staff, gardeners and housekeepers are Haitian.

ELTORO2010 thank you for pointing out my error, but you missed the context of my comments.

Bowmanville, Canada
9. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

When we went to Samana DR in January. There were 10 or so little children at the docks. A few of us asked the locals, why the kids weren't in school.. They said because they don't have shoes...

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 10
10. Re: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!

Edmonton_Mamma.

I frequently read TA reviews/forums for Mexico, since I like to vacation there. I have read a lot of post/reviews complaining about the language barrier from people who live live in country that starts with a "C". Perhaps you should take this into consideration before making such broad generalizations about visitors from countries other than your own.

Reply to: HOLY....GBP La Romana, bad reviews!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted