We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

Staying at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana next week and wondering which of the two of these islands would better suit our style for an island excursion and to get my fix of the birght blue Carribbean ocean that we won't have at the resort. From reading the resort reviews/forums I am thinking that Catalina seems to be more relaxed, perhaps not quite the party experience and is more focused on the snorkeling. Am I correct?

Whitby, Canada
reviews: 9
1. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

catalina is for snorkeling and i heard it was a good time..saona island trip which i took was a good trip well worth the money....so have fun

SOUTH DAKOTA
reviews: 2
2. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

we went to saona wed. and catalina today. used bayahibe fishing center for both. both were excellent, soana was nicer beach where we went very few people saona has many beaches so people can spread out more. catalina has much better snorkeling but fewer beaches so when you go in for lunch and some sun there is more people there. bayahibe fishing center only takes 10-12 to a group. some of the others have 25-50 so it really depends on the excursion company.

Stratford, Canada
3. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

What did you decide on? We are going to the Gran Bahia Principe on Apr. 19th and are looking for a couple good excursions to go on. My husband like snorkelling but I want my Blue Water Fix and a beautiful beach to relax on for the day. I like snorkelling as well but will probably spend the majority of my time on the beach.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
reviews: 14
4. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

Catalina might get busy when the cruise ships come to La Romana port, some of them even come to the island pier.

Saona island is much bigger, so even if there are many people, it might not feel as crowded. But it depends on each excursion company which beach they go to.

My favorite island is Catalinita, usually nobody there, there are no bathrooms or beach chairs, it's more natural look and feel.

Denise

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
reviews: 14
5. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

If you just want to enjoy the beautiful blue Caribbean view you can spend a day or two in Bayahibe village, sit in one of the beach restaurants and enjoy the view. You can see a preview at live web cam at http://bayahibewebcam.com/

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 81
6. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

We are headed to grand bahia la romana next monday for our honeymoon and are interested in day trips. Which of these islands did you see? Should we go to both? Anyone done any deep sea fishing? Do the rooms have a hair dryer? Thank you

Puyallup...
7. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

Is there a recommended tour company for Catalina or Saona? How close are they to the cruise pier? Can we book apart from cruise tours?

8. Re: Catalina vs. Saona Island excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, yesterday