We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayahibe or Saona trip?

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Pole, New York
reviews: 97
Bayahibe or Saona trip?

We're considering the Seavis tour to Saona (cruise ship option) gor our brief 8 hr day there. I'm also looking at just going to Bayahibe and enjoying the beach there and a little shopping and lunch there.

Is Bayahibe someplace to spend several hours? Or would the Seavis tour of Saona and the natural pool be a better day? We like beaches snd are not really interested in snorkeling, although Saona looks very nice.

TIA!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
1. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

Bayahibe has a nice beach next to Dream La Romana hotel and in that beach there are stands that sell food and giftshops.

The trips to Saona and visit the natural pool is really nice. The part of Saona you will visit it wouldnt be much snorkelling unless is made in front of Bayahibe beach

New York City, New...
2. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

I am a Dominican from New York and I have been to Saona four times already. It's an amazing unforgettable experience. The natural pool is beautiful, the water is see-through, and there are tons of starfish crawling around that you can take pictures with. Plus, you have rum and coke throughout the whole trip, there is a buffet and music at the island, and you can spend the day on a green-water beach. The catamaran ride is great. Just sit back, let the sun hit you, let the waves refresh you in what is one of the most rejuvenating experiences. Definitely recommend it to anyone.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
3. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

Seavis doesn´t do a catamaran trip for cruises as they are short of time. It is only speed boats

North Pole, New York
4. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

That's another concern, the power boat isn't as nice as a cat. But the tour does sound nice, thanks for the info everyone!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
5. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

The Seavis tour is a great use of your day in port. They only stop at spots on Saona where you can snorkel, be it the furthest beach of Canto de la Playa or the nearest beach, at Catuano. I just checked their website and confirm that there is the Catuano stop posted there. seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm What's good about the speedboat is that it's fun, it allows you to hit more spots of interest and if there's any difficulty while on your excursion, they are connected to shore by cell phones and walkie talkie type things, and will take you directly from Saona to the cruise ship so you don't have to go into Bayahibe and then travel by land to the ship. They've thought of everything to make the greatest day for a cruise ship day trip.

To spend the day on the Bayahibe Beach would be relaxing and fun, but I'd hazard that the stops offered by the Seavis day will garner more memories.

As an addition, I was just at Dreams La Romana for the first week of February. Friends of mine were in on February 1 on a cruise ship and they did the day pass option at Dreams so we could spend the day together. They docked, got a ride and traveled to the hotel, finally arriving in the last of the vehicles that brought cruisers, at 10:45 a.m. We had 4.5 hours before they were all gathering in the lobby to get their cabs back to the ship to ensure that they were there on time. There was a lot of waiting around and checking watches. Of course you'll want to be sure that the Seavis group know your hours, but they've become professionals at accommodating cruisers and take care of all aspects of the day, including travel back and forth. Once you arrive at the beach, you get the party started and as soon as you arrive back at shore, you hit the road.

Kaki

North Pole, New York
6. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

Thankyou Kaki, very helpful info and insight and greatly appreciated!

The Seavis group does sound excellent, the couple of times I've contacted them they were very helpful even on general Bayahibe questions. I really want to take their abbreviated tour for cruise ship folks as it sounds perfect for a first-time visit to the area. I just didn't want the girls to be disappointed because there would be no time for hitting the little shops in Bayahibe (if there are any?). I know they will want to take home something and there is no time for shopping on the way there and back, as you say. I hear there are some stands on Seavis, not sure if they are on Catuano.

We enjoy the Iberostar resorts in Mexico and plan to visit the Ibero HD in the future, and I'm told we go by the resort in the boat. I'm sure Dreams is a beautiful resort too, but we'd have no interest in a day pass, especially on our first visit to an area. I know it's a "safer" option for many tourists, and a great alternative for folks with moderate mobility issues who want a place to relax and not worry about anything. So I don't mean to knock it for a cruise stop, it's just not for us.

So from your helpful insight I now know that we will indeed take the Seavis tour, and we can enjoy the Bayahibe area when we return to stay at the Ibero or Dreams resort.

A couple more questions, please -

Is Catuano a really nice beach for just enjoying the beach and water as compared to Canto de la Playa?

And I had also contacted a charter cat in Caso de Campo (Caso de Campo Rentals, the boat is the "No Worries"). They offer a similar tour (lunch on Saona not included) for $1200 for 15 people. I looked at that only because we love catamaran tours and were not crazy about the speedbaot deal, although I do understsnd the benefit. Do you have any thoughts on that? Apparently there is a short taxi to their dock and they drop you at the ship.

Thanks again for the excellent info!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
7. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

Sorry if you misunderstood, I didn't mean to suggest that you should do Dreams on a day pass. I was just saying that my friends who did had a great time but their time was cut short. If you did the Seavis tour to Saona Island, you'd get more bang from your hours in port.

I prefer Canto de la Playa, but Catuano is beautiful too. I don't recall the same stands as they have at Mano Juan, but there are ladies walking the beach selling necklaces and other souvenirs. They'll be happy to keep pulling out things as long as you're interested. You want pink? They'll find you pink! Depending on how many people are in your group, you may be able to request an earlier return to Bayahibe, where there are lots and lots of vendors set up right at the boat beach. You may have time to take a look when you first arrive in the morning too, especially if you're waiting for another vehicle. If you know that a couple of vehicles are leaving from the ship, be sure to grab the first so you'll have more time to look.

Catuano is the beach that we stopped at when I did the 2 Islands, 2 Oceans tour last year. There are some pictures of it toward the back end of the album at travel.webshots.com/album/579753750FyqLNt Much of this tour will be the same as yours. You'll do the speedboat portion, and the mangroves and the Piscina Natural and Catuano, just not Catalinita Island in the middle. I think this is where they start: …webshots.com/photo/2944104200064234328IVLlKu There are more people pictures there than beach pictures, but I'll see if I can load some of my own to that album.

I know no details about the Casa de Campo excursion.

Kaki

North Pole, New York
8. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

LOL... the "you want pink, they'll find you pink" is funny and so true everywhere!

No I'm sorry, I knew you weren't suggesting Dreams, I've just seen so many folks on CC saying it is the only safe option in Bayahibe I have to make a statement (I think)...;)

We'll definitely grab the earliest taxi, thanks again for confirming this is the right tour, we do appreciate your feedback!

9. Re: Bayahibe or Saona trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 17, 2013