We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dominican republic weather in september

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham
reviews: 4
dominican republic weather in september

can anyone tell me what the weather is like mid september thinking of going to la romana

thanks

sarah

24 replies to this topic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
1. Re: dominican republic weather in september

In general the precipitation during the rainy season is heavy and in short spurts, toward the end of the day or overnight. There is rarely a vacation that is completely ruined by extreme and prolonged rainfall. The south and east coasts get most rain in May, September and October. However, the 'rainy season' in La Romana / Bayahibe receives about the same amount of precipitation as the dry months in Samana on the northeast coast. There are areas that run on a weather system unto themselves, as in Saona Island, a 30 minute boatride from Bayahibe which receives only one-third of the rainfall of Bayahibe and Bayahibe receives far less rain than La Romana 25 minutes away.

The Atlantic hurricane season begins in June and runs through to November, with the greatest activity usually being in September however, the Dominican Republic receives very few direct hurricane hits. The major concern for Dominicans and travelers to the Dominican Republic is the effect caused by a passing storm. Cloud cover can be extensive resulting in a day or two of rain, and in some cases high winds and dangerous ocean waves may be associated. There may also be flooding and road detours. If you are in any danger, hotel management will ensure your safety and evacuate you to a safer area or out of the country. Pay heed to their instructions! They will only take this safeguard when it's necessary and it is not to be taken lightly. You can still feel free to book travel through the season, since this activity is extremely rare.

Kaki

2. Re: dominican republic weather in september

I'm going to the dominican republic on the 27th of aug 2011 for 2 weeks does anyone know what the weather is like around these dates? Cheers gary

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
reviews: 14
3. Re: dominican republic weather in september

August is hot and humid so is September. Usually we don't get much rain until the last week of September and then in October, when the hurricane season is the busiest here.

I've been here on the south coast for almost 4 years now, and so far this pattern has been like this. The north coast and east might get more rains or storms sometimes.

But of course nobody can predict the weather or tropical storms / hurricanes.

Happy travel

Denise

4. Re: dominican republic weather in september

What type of excursions are there to do because our travel agent was quite vauge about what there was to do and how much they were to do we would like to swim with dolphins but don't. Know how far and what price it will be we are staing in bahia principe la romana could anyone help? Cheers gary

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
5. Re: dominican republic weather in september

Bahia Principe La Romana resort is a bit away from the Bayahibe area, so anything what you want to do on the water, you have to come here, about 45 - 50 minutes ride.

Swimming with dolphins - Dolphin Explorer in Bavaro is about 2 and half hours from the resort, but I don't know the price.

You ca check my friend's blog for the excursion options, but all are from Bayahibe

…wordpress.com/2011/05/22/excursions/

Happy travel

Denise

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
6. Re: dominican republic weather in september

Gary I believe I just posted some info for you on the other thread.

Happy travel

Denise

Sheffield, United...
7. Re: dominican republic weather in september

Denise,

I've been reading your posts which are very helpful. I was wondering if you know much about the Dreams Resort in La Romana? We are thinking of traveling 13th September -27th September this year. We really want a nice hotel to pre celebrate my 30th birthday which is on the 29th September. I would really appriciate your advice.

We are a little torn at the moment as we know the weather in Egypt will be hot but the Dominican looks so much more beautiful. Please help :)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
8. Re: dominican republic weather in september

I live about 10 minute beach walk from Dreams :)

Well unfortunately I cannot make a decision for you, but can tell you this. The resort is beautiful, many restaurants to choose from, rooms are beautiful (as I've seen on many pictures from guests posting them on Facebook and here). But again, what some might like, some might not. There are many people returning to this resort (even 16 times!!!).

Good luck with your choice

Denise

New York City, New...
9. Re: dominican republic weather in september

Good day!

We have a flight to La Romana tomorrow morning, was wondering about the weather especially after the hurricane.

Traveling to Dreams Resort and main concern is if it is open and running?

Has there been much rain? Is it maybe worth canceling our vacation?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
10. Re: dominican republic weather in september

There was nothing much happening here when the hurricane Irene was passing by the north coast of the island, about 6 hours drive from here. The resort was never closed, we had only some rain here, but it wasn't too bad. The sea was a bit wavy for couple days, but it is back to normal. We've had few showers since then, but is still hot and at this moment the sun is out. So whether to cancel you vacation or not it's up to you.

You can follow my daily weather update on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/discoverbayahibe or you can see the same on the website http://www.discoverbayahibe.com

Happy travel

Denise

Reply to: dominican republic weather in september
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted