We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

I'm travelling from Canada. Does it make sense for me to exchange CAD to USD and then to pesos once I'm in Dominican? Or should I go right from CAD to peso through my bank before departure?

21 replies to this topic
Belleville, Canada
reviews: 26
1. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

We've never purchased pesos prior to our leaving Canada, mainly because the CDN rate of exchange wasn't benefical. Always bought US$ & then when we wanted peso upon our arrival in the DR, we changed only the amount needed.

And it's even worse, now that the CDN$$ is sitting at 1 CAD = 0.9095 USD :(

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
2. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

Don't buy Pesos at home you''ll get a bad rate. You can change your CD into Pesos here in any Money store, Bank, Western Union, Caribe Express, etc. Some folks change CD into USD into RD but that requires a lot of math on the brain, lol.

Rates:

wallycabarete.com/html/wally_cambio_en.php

Park City, Utah
3. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

I'm jumping on to this thread, because I has a similar question. I'm coming from the US, and want to exchange my money when I get there.

Staying at the Playa Dorado complex. Where is the best place to exchange currencies near there?

Newton Abbot...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
4. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

apethegrapeify

As you are staying at the Blue Jack Tar, as previously mentioned you can take the short walk over to the Plaza on the Playa Dorada Complex where you can exchange your money at the local cambios (exchange houses), there is also a bank in the vicinity too if you wish to use that instead of the cambios, just check out who is giving the best exchange rates.

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 85
5. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

Also lots of folks use ATMs here and you will get a good rate on the exchange. However you have to consider the transaction fees charged by your banks. Still a pretty good exchange.

If you are going to use ATM or Credit Cards here do make sure you notify your home bank of your travel plans. If you don't they will put a hold on the card with the first use fearing fraud.

And remember depending on your air carrier you may have to pay the $10 tourist card fee when you land and the $20US exit tax when you leave. Some of the Canadian carriers cover these costs in the price of your ticket. I believe it is Sunwing that does not. ALL US carriers cover the exit tax but not the tourist card when you get here.

BObK

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

I'm flying with sunwing unfortunately, so I will have my money put aside like I do when I go to Cuba. Can this be paid in CAD?

I've used an online calculator on RBC and TD's websites and it looks like I get a better rate going from CAD to Dom Peso. I'm going to call both banks and see what the rates are.

RV, are there extra charges if I exchange at any of those places?

Newton Abbot...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
7. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

Alyssa W

As your flying with Sunwing and you will have to pay your Tourist Card and Departure Tax it will have to be paid in $US you will not be able to pay them with your CAD

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 85
8. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

Just as reference point here you can exchange USD at a rate of 42.95-43 pesos to the USD.

BObK

Edited: 10:01 am, February 13, 2014
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
9. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

No Alyssa, they post their rates and there is no service charge on top of that.

Charlottetown...
10. Re: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso

We exchange CAD for DOP at the RBC each year, about a week in advance, and ask for various denominations which we usually receive. We also take a little USD (kept for travel to the US) but very rarely use it. We just use our DOP, and take credit cards just in case. We notify the credit card customer service by phone before we go. We don't fly Sunwing as a rule but always keep the proper amount of "get out of the country" USD just in case:-)

Edited: 2:24 pm, February 13, 2014
Reply to: CAD to USD to Dominican Peso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted