We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belleville, Canada
reviews: 26
Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

We drove thru the Playa Dorada twice this week to pickup people from the Gran Ventana. What once was a beautiful complex is now looking very tired & run-down. And IMHO, it has to do with the closing of so many of the resorts within those walls.

On all the closed resorts the roofs need repairing, the weeds are growing up between the cobblestone walkways, the paint is peeling from off the wood work & there are some broken windows. Sure, the grass is kept trimmed, but with no other care the buildings are yuck !

I noticed that a few of the resorts are being turned into Condominiums, but I must say that an awful lot of work needs to go into the properties before anyone will pay out the kind of money that is wanted for a Condo.

Even "the Mall" needs to be spruced up, as the building's colours are looking pretty shoddy. The shopping area wasn't bustling with tourists either, so I know that the shop keepers are really hurting for business.

The only glimmer of colour that we saw was at the Gran Ventena & even some of that resort needs a "shot in the arm" too.

Please...don't shoot the messanger...it's just my humble opinion of what I saw !

Massachusetts
reviews: 27
1. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

I agree with you completely. We got back last week from there and it is like a ghost town on the beach itself.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 5
2. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

I agree, it definitely needs some renos to attact tourists again....however I would rather stay there anyday and be close to all the North Coast has to offer than go to Punta Cana....

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

It's quite sad to hear all this as my memory of this area is so different. Will be there again at GV in Feb and have to say I'm under no illusions that things may be different this time around but know as soon as the sun hits the spot and we hear the old merengue beat we're back home!!!!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 83
4. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

Hopefully in the next year or two things will pick up. There are signs of life in the area like the new Jack Tar complex, the new cruise sea port, reopening of the Sosua Bay Resort (new name is Tapacio Azul), making the main street in Sosua a pedestrian zone on the weekends and so on.

We here all hope so as the area certainly has seen a decline in the tourist visits and as mentioned closing of many resorts.

BObK

Wigan, Lancashire
reviews: 12
5. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

Here is the million pound question???

Why is PC doing so well and PP doing so poor?

Dave

Charlottetown...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

I agree. When we visited the Iberostar Costa Dorada earlier this year we were through Playa Dorada one day, and also the shopping complex. So much was closed up and empty. I remember it as bustling and busy. Sad and a bit depressing.

There are a lot of reasons why one place is doing better than the other, and I am no expert.

However, people love the Punta Cana beaches. Tour operators fly big planeloads of people from all over the world to the huge resorts in PC. It's certainly set up for volume.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 83
7. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

PC is doing well because the government wanted to build a destination resort. So mega $$$$$$$$$$$ were poured into the area. 10 years ago there was NOTHING there. While doing this NO $$$ were available to maintain or imporve the north coast. The new president promised that the north coast would no longer be a forgotten chilld and so far he seems to be keeping his word.

BObK

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

Im routing for the" big $$$$$$$$$$$$ " to come up North!!

Charlottetown...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

This is a good topic of discussion, very interesting.

Belleville, Canada
reviews: 26
10. Re: Playa Dorada has lost it's sparkle.....

Yes, the new Jack Tar ( Blue Jack Tar & Green Jack Tar) is being worked on from what I could see from the bus. There is also a new Condo where the Viva Wyndham used to be...it looked decent.

But the new Cruise Port is being built in Maimom Bay just behind Riu Bachata & that may not bring much business into Playa Dorada.

Here's hoping that it improves & quickly (as a quickly as the Dominican time frame will allow !)