We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying Larimar

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
11 reviews
buying Larimar

hi,

so every time we go to the DR I like to buy a new piece of Larimar Jewellry.....I'm now more savy on what I purchase and would like to buy some quality pieces.....

can anyone recommend where I can get good, fair priced pieces??

we plan to stay at ICD.

thanks

wa state
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: buying Larimar

There is a jewelry store / museum in P.P that has a lot of larimar & amber, very nice pieces & good prices.

I am sure that most of the cab drivers would know where it is.

Edited: 8:12 pm, June 26, 2012
wa state
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: buying Larimar

Be sure to check the larimar closely for cracks we bought two pieces that looked ok while in P.P but had cracks in them when we got them home.

It may have been the difference in humidity or ??

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
411 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: buying Larimar

Harrison's in the Playa Dorada mall sell good quality pieces. I plan on buying some more when we return to Gran Ventana in February!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: buying Larimar

If you take a day trip to Sosua (and you should as the beach is terrific with lots of shops, restaurants, snorkeling and such) there is a very good shop (Patrick's) at the entrance to the beach road accross from la Rocha restaurant. Very good quality hand made jewlery and very good prices.

BObK

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: buying Larimar

We were advised to have the stones independently appraised before purchasing, as there are many places creating stones made from plastic. If you buy from the beach, it's always buyer beware, and of course, price reflects quality.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
121 reviews
6. Re: buying Larimar

I am not aware of anyplace where you can get a stone independently appraised before buying.

Best chance ot purchase fake or poor quality stone is from a beach vendor.

BObK

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
740 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: buying Larimar

There is a jewellery shop on ICD complex next to the reps area / resort store. Looked to have some very nice pieces. But tbh didn't take note of what the stones were.

Dave

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: buying Larimar

thanks guys

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
726 posts
1 review
9. Re: buying Larimar

Hi Cherie,

There is a Harrison's jewellery store at the ICD. They have lots of Larimar, set both in gold and silver. Beautiful stuff but not cheap. There is also a jewellery store that shares the Photoshop just down the hallway from Harrison's. They have a good selection of reasonably priced Larimar, much of it set in silver. I've purchased some nice jewellery there. In Playa Dorada Mall you'll find a The Larimar Shop, also a Harrison's.

Edited: 5:28 pm, June 27, 2012
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: buying Larimar

where is the Playa Dorada mall??? is it in the complex?