We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Which Santo Domingo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medford NJ
reviews: 7
what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

We plan to go for 2 weeks and would like to stay at two different places. Looking for suggestions.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
1. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

what do you like to do, hope to do?

Medford NJ
2. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

we like to relax and sight see and want to experience different aspects of the country

UK
reviews: 8
3. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

I would recommend a couple of nights in Santo Domingo - specially the old Zona Colonial followed by time on the beach - Samana Peninsular either Las Galeras or Playa Bonita. Las Terranas is another alternative but over devloped these days.

Bavaro, Dominican...
reviews: 11
4. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Agree with Domingo, the colonial zone is a great place to be with some very good open air restaraunts at night, some good shopping to be done in Santo Domingo if that's your thing as well, some very nice boutique hotels in and around the zone at great prices as well, personally I like to spoil myself when I go and really like the renaissance hotel on the Malecon. For the rest of the trip all depends what your looking for.

Las Galeras...
5. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Domingo UK's suggestion is, as always, spot on!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
6. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Sandra, Jet Blue now has flights from JFK to El Catey Samana. You can avoid the long and expensive transfer by flying in and out of El Catey. One week in Las Terenas and one in Las Galeras would be a great trip. Or do an open jaw on Jet Blue in/out of El Catey and SDQ with a bus trip between the two. This helps cut the transfers and lets you see the City.

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 80
7. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Go to Santo Domingo stay at the Zona Colonial or Malecon. Either go to the highlands Jarabacao to see waterfalls and the more country site (You can stop in Bonao on the way) or if you like more beach go to Barahona. Another option is to go to Puerto Plata area or Las Terrenas.

Punta Cana...
8. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Boutique Hotel Palacio....in the Zona Colonial...just steps from El Conde, a few blocks from the first cathedral and walking distance to many sights in the Zona. They have a pretty good breakfast included as well.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 31
9. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

We just got back from RD. It was great. We started out in Puerto Plata at a resort. I would recommend going there. I did not want to leave. We took a bus from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. The bus was awesome because we got to see A LOT of the country. We stopped in Santiago It was awesome. It kinda had it's own flavor and there seemed to be a lot to do there (the movies, sports, parades/festivals etc). So think of it in terms of America: Puerto Plata is like the size of a Charlotte, NC Santiago was like the size of an Atlanta, GA and Santo Domingo was like the size of like NYC. We loved our entire stay in the RD. In fact I cried when it was time to leave on Saturday evening. You can't go wrong with any of the places I mentioned. If you do choose one, let me know, maybe I can help you with what to do when you get there :)

Rochester
reviews: 16
10. Re: what are best places to stay in the Dominican Republic

Looking to go to the DR for a week. I'd like to stay at a beach resort, but I'd also like a small town nearby. Something like Playa delCarmen in Mexico.

I'd like enough surf to be able to body surf or use a boogie board.