We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domenica

Maryland, USA
Domenica

We're thinking of going to the island for a week or more. What time of year is best? I dive, my wife snorkels, so we want to be near the water. We also like hiking and birding, so we're looking for some proximity to those things, too. Mainly water, though. Appreciate any suggestions about places to stay, etc.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Domenica

Hi there,

December to April is main season, with quietest sea.

The island is comprehensive, so even at the coastal towns you're never further than 2 hours from the start of lovely hikes like waterfalls or boiling lake. Southern part (e.g. Scotts Head) are the main beach areas also for underwater, but one does not come to Dominica mainly for the water...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Maryland, USA
2. Re: Domenica

Thanks very much, Erik and Sandya. Very helpful. We appreciate it. Would you have any recommendations of good places to stay, medium-priced?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
3. Re: Domenica

Hi again,

Sorry you'll have to use the TA reviews list as a start for that (click both the Hotels tab and B & B tab). Unfortunately it throws all of the island on one heap, so have a map at hand to see which areas are best for you (South of Roseau is best as mentioned). We stayed Calibishie because our profile differs from yours, we only wanted nature/hike and not sea...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Maryland, USA
4. Re: Domenica

Ok, thanks a lot. Again, much appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Domenica

You will surely enjoy Scott's Head/Soufriere Bay.

Visit natureisland.com and I can recommend Castille Paradise for accomodation. This part of the island is unique. Hiking, diving, snorkeling and great sulpher spas.

Maryland, USA
6. Re: Domenica

Excellent! I also say your other reply. Thanks again.

Dominica
7. Re: Domenica

Hi redkincaid

Greetings from the beautiful Nature Island, Dominica. Thank you for choosing Dominica as your vacation choice. You sound like an adventurous couple and I guarantee you guys will love it here. There is quite a bit to do while vacationing on the island. Activities range from very adventurous (hiking, snorkeling, river tubing, zip lining, ATVs, whale watching and more) to simply relaxing (ride up the Indian River, Site seeing, sulphur baths). These activities can be done round the year, however the best time would be October to May 2012 (Outside of the Hurricane season).

You mentioned that you are particularly interested in Diving, snorkeling, hiking and birding. I would suggest that you consider staying on the south side (in or around the Capital - Roseau) of the island. There are quite a bit of options for accommodation available to you e.g. hotels, guest houses, cottages, self contained apartments. In terms of medium-priced in and around the town area you can consider the Papillote Wilderness Retreat, Cocoa Cottages or visit www.avirtualdominica.com/wheretostay.cfm for some other options. (I am not affiliated with this company in any way).

Nature Island Weddings & Vacation

Dominica

Maryland, USA
8. Re: Domenica

Thank you for the information; very helpful. Any other ideas, forward them on. I assume you mean May 2013, as 2012 has already passed. BTW, I am particularly looking for info from people who have traveled there as vacationers, as opposed to those promoting the island. I can get that stuff from travel brochures and the web.

Dominica
9. Re: Domenica

Great! You're welcome!

Isla de Margarita
reviews: 36
10. Re: Domenica

redkincaid

We normally stay in the north near Calibishie.

Check out Sea Cliff Cottages