We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking safety, transport from airport

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 73
walking safety, transport from airport

Hi: I'm looking into staying in a very nice apartment that seems to be on or near Carneles Dirksweg street.

Is it safe to walk from there to the Punda or the Kura Huland?

Are there any buses, or cheap ways to get there from the airport? We arrive mid afternoon and prefer not to rent a car for our time in Willemstad.

Thanks,

Kay

18 replies to this topic
Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 76
1. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

During the day no problem walking from there to any place in town. At night it is a bit dark area of Otrabanda so be a bit carefull when walking there. But indeed they fixed a couple of old houses in that neighborhood and converted them into very very nice apartments.

There is a bus that will take you from the airport to punda or otrabanda. Otrabanda is close to where you will be but with luggage it is a long walk and a bit up hill. Maybe you can take a bus to otrabanda and a taxi from there. Taxis are expensive here even for short rides

Montreal
2. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

Thanks for the information. At the moment I'm choosing between that apartment and the Hotel Scharloo. If we want to go out on the evening, is it safe to walk back to the Hotel Scharloo?

As for the buses, I'm hoping that we'll be traveling light, so a walk up a hill shouldn't be too bad. Is it easy to find out information about the buses? My plan is 3 nights without a car in Willemstad, and then to rent a car for our week in Westpunt.

Thanks again,

Kay

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 82
3. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

Its more of less the same story.. perhaps Hotel Scharloo is a little bit closer to the centre. However at night dont walk there with your laptop etc. Use your common sense.

Did you look at Pietermaai Small Apartments as well?

The bus leaves from the airport. When you arrive check on the airport when the bus will go to Wilemstad. (also change some money as they might not accept foreign currency).

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
4. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

As curtraveller stated walking in scharloo or otrabanda same story. Daytime no issues caution at night.

Ask at the airport bustop very close to arrivals. If you stay in Cornelis Dirksweg (otrabanda) take bus to otrabanda. If you go to scharloo take bus to punda.

Montreal
5. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

Thanks very much for the replies. It turns out that Hotel Scharloo is not accepting short stays next year, or so they replied to me. The Pietermaai Smal Apartments look nice too. Would there be an advantage or disadvantage to those apartments versus the very nice one near Carneles Dirksweg street? Perhaps in terms of walking distance to museums or neighbourhood ambience?

From looking at the map it seems as though Carnèles Dirksweg is closer to the Kura Hukanda museum, but farther from the Maritime and Jewish History Museum.

K

Willemstad, Curacao
6. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

The advantage of Pietermaai is that they are located in a more lively street where you will find some bars and restaurants on walking distance. There is security and more people on the streets. (in regards to the evenings). So there is more ambience there.

Kura Hulanda Museum would be like a 10-15 minute walk from Pietermaai.

Montreal
7. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

It seems the The Pietermaai Smal Apartments are sold out for my dates (according to various hotel booking sites, there was no reply from the actual site), which I find odd since it's 7 months from now...I guess that narrows down my search.

K

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
8. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

Scuba lodge is very close to the pietermaai area. Actually in the pietermaai area

Montreal
9. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

I looked at the Scuba Lodge. The suites got great reviews, but are $315/night. The actual hotel rooms didn't get good reviews.

K

Willemstad, Curacao
10. Re: walking safety, transport from airport

You can book online or contact them online or you can call them. The rooms on bookingsites are not all the rooms they have.

Reply to: walking safety, transport from airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted