We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time possible visitor to Curacao

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 185
First time possible visitor to Curacao

My boyfriend and I are contemplating a caribbean vacation next February and we are narrowed down to Grand Cayman and Curacao. I wondered, as I understand that February is part of the rainy season in Curacao, how that would affect any outdoor activities and whether mosquitoes would be a major issue, since I seem to attract them here in the U.S. Thank you all for any help in our decision making!

Boston...
reviews: 11
11. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

We had our honeymoon in Barbados (many eons ago) and it was very nice.

The weather is not that much different in either. They are both south of the hurricane zone.

Some other islands have better individual features over Curacao, but after having visited dozens of islands, Curacao is overall the best for us.

Prince George,BC
reviews: 19
12. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

We also returned just over a week ago and like Beachlover9 had mosquitoes feasting on us also. My calves were covered the most but oddly the bites were barely itchy,except for any areas that rubbed (ie.my toes and between my fingers).

We did find the Island quite windy but not as much right in Willemstad.

We stayed on the west side, first at The Natural,(Feb.7-14) stronger winds and more rain but it only lasted for 5 - 10 min.,a quiet small resort with a really nice pool.

Then we stayed at Marazul Dive Resort, not as windy but that's when we experienced the mosquitoes feasting on both of us! Great snorkeling right off the stairs there.

We did use a local product called Curaloe (dark blue bottle) and it helped a lot! I also brought bug spray but we preferred the local spray, as it was not as smelly. You can buy it in the pharmacy/liquor area at the Centrum and Mangusa grocery stores.

Overall Curacao was a very nice Island, great snorkeling, most beaches are a bit rocky but with calm waters,it was easy to drive in, and has friendly people. We did find it a bit pricey for eating out with most portions on the smaller side.

Haven't been to the Grand Cayman's but after talking to my sister(who was there last April), I believe that the restaurant's on Grand Cayman are more expensive.

That's my 2 cents:)

13. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 12, 2014