We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

Toronto, Canada
Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

So I'm I'm thinking...should I go or not? I'm set to depart for vacation this coming Friday the 13th.

It appears the date has put its dirty lingle finger on the weather forecast!

Rain amounts seem very high because of the remnants of tropical storm Gabriel and her long tail!! Not to mention a new tropical storm that has recently formed and will be arriving in the carribean the same time as me! The forecast although a prediction from this point shows very high rain amounts for most of the entire week!

I'm not new to travelling during this time of the year, but this is starting to look like a washed out vacation with very little sun!!

Thoughts?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 64
1. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

If you've already booked and paid for your trip you'll lose the entire amount this close to travelling. Personally I'd go regardless, unless of course you have deep pockets and can afford to lose it. Weather forecasts for Cuba are really hard to predicit. Might rain, might not.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

Thanks bergeman,

I have a few contacts down there and I'm hearing lots of rain coming. I won't loose out on the money...lol

It looks very washed out for the next little while!

Nova Scotia, Canada
3. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

“Not to mention a new tropical storm that has recently formed and will be arriving in the carribean the same time as me!”

If you are referring to Humberto, that storm is currently forecast to veer to the north far in advance of ever reaching the Caribbean.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Montreal
reviews: 15
4. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

You travel in 5 days... No forecast will be even remotely close to accurate for five days from now, let alone the 7 days that follow.

Cuba is not at risk from any tropical storm at present.. and nothing on the radar headed in that direction.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

If you look at the link that Madrugada provised, that yellow circle north of Puerto Rico and east of Florida is the remnant of Gabrielle. I doubt that is the cause of any weather in Cuba right now. As for the forecasts, they are probably about as good for Cuba as they are for Toronto, but according to this one, the sun should be coming out on Friday:

www.insmet.cu/asp/genesis.asp…

If you want to have a look at the current conditions re: cloudiness in the area, take a look here:

ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-vis.html

If you keep a watch on that one, and see how the weather patterns are moving, you might be able to make your own forecast as to what the general conditions will be like.

Lastly, if you want to keep an eye on what Humberto is doing, take a look here:

…noaa.gov/archive/…loop_5W.shtml

By Friday, Humberto is predicted to start turning a bit westward, but by then it will be far enough north to be over cooler water, and will begin to weaken. If it ever does reach North America (which is highly doubtful), it would likely be as far north as the Carolinas, and would miss the Caribbean by nearly a thousand miles.

Edited: 11:34 am, September 09, 2013
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

Last week, In Guardalavaca it rained maybe for 5 minutes one morning, otherwise, sunny and very hot the whole week.

Cuban weather forecasts are useless.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 4
7. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

You're right, sssnakes, the weather forecasts are never accurate, even the oned generated in Cuba. I usually take a look at the Weather Network's forecast for Varadero, but I don't know why. It is even less likely to be accurate than the INSMET forecast.

About the best forecaster I ever knew of was the gardener I knew at one of the resorts. He would look at the sky on a perfect day, and if hes said, "tomorrow, rain", sure enough, it would rain the next day. He was never wrong.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

@Madrugada54

"A TURN TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND NORTHWEST WITH A SLIGHT DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS

EXPECTED ON TUESDAY...FOLLOWED BY A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST

ON WEDNESDAY" so it looks like Humberto is headed there.

Which is the reason I am worried. I know the weather forecasts in Cuba are sketchy...but alot of rain is in the forecast accross the vacation destinations!!

Montreal
reviews: 15
9. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

I prefer Weather Underground for Hurricane reports- their pictures are clearer. See this link for their forecasted path of Humberto.. Not even close to Cuba:

wunderground.com/hurricane/…

Nova Scotia, Canada
10. Re: Varadero.. Should I go or should I not go due to weather.

“ ... so it looks like Humberto is headed there.”

Humberto is currently located at 22ºW 13ºN and following the projection of West/Northwest then North/NorthWest, Humberto is not headed anywhere near the Caribbean.

You’re wasting a worry.