We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba Newbie asking question

Toronto
Cuba Newbie asking question

Hey what's up, I am a 21 yr old male, and going to cuba staying in playa caleta with my cousin. It's our first time going there and I was wondering if anyone can give me travelling tips and things i should watch out for. Things like what should i bring for the hotel workers over there. Also, how's the night life. i mean I would like to go somewhere where there is people my age. Well i am leaving on feb 25 and be back on march 4th. If anyone is going during the same time maybe we can meet up there as well, feel free to write a post and give ur inputs.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 92
1. Re: Cuba Newbie asking question

I know I'll sound like your mother, but a little politeness goes a long way. Por favor and gracias are very appreciated by staff. You wouldn't believe how some people snap their fingers or bark an order to bar staff, and then they wonder why they never get good service the rest of the week (I bet the staff are tempted to spit in their drinks!) Be patient when ordering, staff is sometimes overwhelmed. A peso given with each drink is very appreciated, not necessary every time, but especially your first few times at the bar. Also, introduce yourself and learn the staff names.

If you have any old baseball caps, or can get to a Value Village, they love them as gifts. If they can't wear them themselves, they love to give them as gifts. Little baby hats for the waitresses are great. Otherwise, a peso here and there are very appreciated. Also, dollar store pens, etc with Canada on them are popular.

There will be lots of night spots in Varadero, ask your tour rep and the people at reception for good (safe) spots . Check with other people your age around the pool, maybe you can get a group together to share a cab. Don't go anywhere with girls you may meet at the club, you could end up getting robbed by their boyfriend instead of what you have been promised.

Okay, I'm not YOUR mother, but I am someone's mother. Sorry, it's genetic, I can't help giving motherly advice. Have a good time, and play safe!

Toronto
2. Re: Cuba Newbie asking question

thanks alot for ur feedback

Montreal
3. Re: Cuba Newbie asking question

Hola FabTJ,

I just returned from Varadero. I was at the Brisas Del Caribe. Please if you have some time, you may stop by the Brisas Del Caribe resort and say hola to Emilia...she is the gym teacher at the resort and she is my new best cuban friend. She will gladly take you around the Cuban clubs and take good care of you...No chance that her boyfriend robs you...that is the stupidest nonesense I have ever heard! They are the nicest people ever!!! Make up your own mind about the people there and dont be afraid to mix with the Cuban people, you wont be disappointed!!!

Please tell Emilia Faby says Hola, and I miss her alot!!!

julietta_chiccone@hotmail.com