We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windy!!!

Fort St-John BC
reviews: 3
Windy!!!

In Varadero, down the peninsula, is it more windy?

Dublin, Ireland
1. Re: Windy!!!

We were staying in the Tryp Peninsula - got back last Friday..it was quite windy the whole time we were there..it was very welcome during the day coz it was so hot but not great at night! Not sure if it's like that all the time though!

Niagara Falls
reviews: 16
2. Re: Windy!!!

I think it depends where you are staying and possibly even the time of year.

We have always gone to Varadero in early March, stayed 4X at Sandals Hicacos and got a mixture of windy and calm days, although one particular year the red flag was out probably 5 of the 7 days we were there, on another occasion, the whole week was calm.

Last year we stayed further down the penninsula at the Princesa del Mar and it was noticeably windier for the better part of the week.

Halifax, Canada
3. Re: Windy!!!

We stayed at the Barcello Marina Palace last year at around this time. Because of it's location on the point it is windy all the time. In contrast, we have also stayed at Beaches Varadero in April and it is just breezy. Further down the beach we stayed at Playa Varadero at the same time of year and there was virtually no wind. This is due to the outcroppings at either end of the beach.

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 64
4. Re: Windy!!!

When we were in Varadero last April we found it quite windy and we asked a few locals about it. They told us it was due to the "40 days of wind" (they said it in a Spanish saying- can't remember the saying)

The way they explained it to us was that from around mid-March and on...there are about 40 consecutive days of windy days. It ends around the end of April.

I have been using this forum for a while now but oddly enough I hardly ever hear people talking about this "40 days of wind" on the forum from a local's perspective.

We stayed at Palma Real which is mid-Varadero strip and close to downtown.

Fort St-John BC
reviews: 3
5. Re: Windy!!!

Its just we are looking two book a two week vacation later, and would like to try a different resort, but I was told from someone, that resort at the end of the peninsula is definetely more windy. Last year we stayed at the Blau in February and was perfect. But would like to try a different resort, we are looking at the Sirenis la Salina.

SCOTLAND
reviews: 7
6. Re: Windy!!!

Hi we have been looking at the Iberostar Varadero

for next Feb/March. This will be our first time in Cuba so not sure about the location of this Hotel although the reviews are great.

My concern is that I have read that the beach at this hotel is very narrow. Can anyone tell me if this is the case,also how would the winds/rough seas etc affect the beach at this hotel as I am not sure how far along the peninsula it is.

Can anyone suggest a good four/five star hotel that would be at a better strech of the beach as hubby and I are beach lovers and love to swim in the sea.

We are flexible about our travel dates when would be the best time to go. I know the wet season starts May so thought Feb/ March would be best.

Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS

Ontario
reviews: 4
7. Re: Windy!!!

Dear anxious; Iberostar is further down the peninsula 1hr from airport. The beach is not narrow, sand is nice. It is windy though d/t Atlantic side. There are hotels closer to town of varadero 20 minutes from the airport. I heard Barcelo solymar is very nice. Walking distance to town. Also santa clara 5 star resort called Occidental royal hideaway ensenachos is extremely beautiful. More for relaxing, ocean is calmer. Have a look at the reviews. See what you think. I am planning on going there next trip. My mother is there right now. I will find out more information when she gets back on Thursday 17th. Let you know if your interested.

Cheers

Diane

Ontario
reviews: 4
8. Re: Windy!!!

Nervous; Sorry I meant Santa Maria not clara pg 124 Air Transit book

Barrie Ontario
reviews: 32
9. Re: Windy!!!

It is always windy in Varadero..thats what makes the weather so great..always a breeze on those hot days. Ladies..dont forget your hair elastics as you will want to tie back your hair.

Chester Basin...
reviews: 54
10. Re: Windy!!!

I think Veradero from my experience is always quite windy as well.

blondie **