We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut allergies in Havana?? Help!!!!

New York City, New...
Peanut allergies in Havana?? Help!!!!

We are going to Cuba with a member of our family who has severe peanut and tree nut allergies. We're considering a trip that is in Havana for most nights, staying at the Hotel Parque Central, and two nights in Trinidad at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad. Anyone know those places? Any suggestions for eating in restaurants? Buffets don't work because of cross contamination, but simple foods do! And does anyone know of medical facilities in the area? Help!!

Durham, North...
1. Re: Peanut allergies in Havana?? Help!!!!

Be sure to take your epi-pen, you won't have issues with it at customs as they are familiar with them. In Havana, the tourist hospital is:

CLINICA CENTRAL CIRA GARCIA

Calle 20 #4101 Esquina Avenida 41

Playa Havana Cuba

TEL ++53 7 204.2811

FAX ++53 7 204.2640

email : faculta(at)cirag.cu

http://www.cirag.cu (Cira Garcia Havana)

Here is another poster on the same subject

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k537595…

Another helpful link:

peanutallergy.com/boards/general-discussion/…

Other suggestion, although Cuba rarely check to see if you have travel health insurance, it would be a wise option in this scenario. Sometimes your travel agency already includes it in the ticket (confirm this), but you can also get it at the airport upon entry. Make sure you as before you leave the customs area, this can run about $3.50 per day/person. If you purchase it in person, they will make sure that EVERYONE in your group has to get it. You might be able to get it online at www.asistur.cu here is the pricing http://www.asistur.cu/SEGOB_ESP.pdf

Now, I don't know if you have seen this story, but this is a friend of my daughter. He had one of the most severe peanut allergies known, and he is now eating peanut butter sandwiches and more without any reactions. ABC did a story on him and you can see it here: abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/health/Fighting-p…

While in Cuba, if you take a local taxi called a Collectivo, or jump on a bus, you may be exposed to peanuts since the you aren't the only person and there are peanut vendors.

I know your worries, and I'm sure you will have an awesome trip.

-Carlos

2. Re: Peanut allergies in Havana?? Help!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2014