We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Havana safe?

Sydney
reviews: 4
Is Havana safe?

Hi ,

We are doing a quick side trip to Havana from Cancun for our honeymoon just 2 nights. Just wondering is is a safe place to visit??? I'm from Australia so i have no idea about this area. :)

Sydney Australia
reviews: 52
31. Re: Is Havana safe?

Havana is definitely safer than many other cities(including Sydney,I live here too)but still be careful especially at night in dark streets.Put away your gold chain,my husband had his snatched at the door of our accommodation,there is dancing everywhere including restaurants and little shops,if you do dance take your bag with you,never ever leave your camera,or similar on the table even when you go to the toilet,take toilet paper with you,soap or hand sanitizers,if there is a lady attending toilets give her a small tip(coins)

Two days in Havana is so so little time,I suppose it will give you a little taste of the place.The Cannon Blast Ceremony at 9pm every evening at Morro Castle,dinner on the Malecon at Castropol and the show at Tropicana are the main things you can do in only two days

Don`t worry too much about Cubana,I have taken it a few times,the trip is so short and for just over one hour you can put up with the rude staff,the steam that looks like smoke and the shaky old plane

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
32. Re: Is Havana safe?

salsaholic - I forgot about that water vapour (not steam btw). Sure does freak out first timers!

Sydney Australia
33. Re: Is Havana safe?

Yep fidelcastro,it is hard to describe..other passengers told us when they saw the color of our faces disappear...

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
34. Re: Is Havana safe?

Sorry I couldn't help laughing when I read your response but I know not funny at the time. i think it was Cancun-Havana rather than a domestic flight that was my first such panic-making experience.

Toronto
35. Re: Is Havana safe?

I would book it and not worry until you have something to worry about.

Perth
reviews: 18
36. Re: Is Havana safe?

We were there over new years (from Australia as well) and it felt very safe. As the other comments noted, if you keep you wits about you you will be fine. It is a great place to visit and even the touts have a certain charm (although they can wear a bit thin by the end of the day!). If you have not already booked the flight, try to avoid Cubana Airway or at the least check in 3 3.5 hours in advance. They seem to often overbook there flights fairly significantly. We (along with 40 other passengers) were delayed on our outbound Hav to Mexico City by 24 hours and there were apparently another 40 overbooked the day we flew out. Have fun!

Havana, Cuba
37. Re: Is Havana safe?

"the steam that looks like smoke"

-----

There's a great video somewhere on youtube from some panicking tourists filming the vapour thinking it's the last thing they will ever be doing.

So, yes, I almost forgot that Cubana does have it's 'charms'. Actually, if you're an airplane buff with nerves of steal, definitely book with Cubana over the other airlines so you can try some of the old Russian planes. Some of them are quite solid planes, though they may not always give of that exact feeling.

Sydney Australia
38. Re: Is Havana safe?

Not my case...I can still feel my heart beating fast when I take that Cubana flight,only the thought of me dancing away at 1830 with the sea breeze and having lobster in my Trinidad "casa" can distract me from panicking....but I must say: it seems funny now sitting here in Sydney suburbia...hehehe....

Langley City, Canada
reviews: 4
39. Re: Is Havana safe?

I have always heard that Cuba is a very safe place for tourists and the 2 times I have been there I have felt safe. BUT I was there with my daughter & family in Mid-March 2013 and was targeted by a purse snatcher. We were coming home from a late dinner (11:00) and as I entered the home of a Cuban friend, who lives in a quiet residential area, a man (the only other person on the street at the time) reached inside the door and grabbed my small purse which I carry across my chest. Fortunately, I did not have my passport in my purse but I did lose my camera, glasses, money, etc. So, even if you think you are in a 'safe' area beware that bad things can happen anywhere. I just want you to be wary. This could easily ruin a holiday.

Sydney Australia
40. Re: Is Havana safe?

The same thing happened to us,but it was my husband gold chain (he had it on the inside of his Tshirt) a well dressed,Latino looking man came to us when we were opening the door of our casa,pretending to say something nice,he grabbed the chain and run,fortunately the medal dropped on the floor...never let your guard down,we learned the hard way...