We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana & beach resort

UK
Havana & beach resort

Hi

I would like to stay at Saratogo in Havana for 3 days & spend 7 days on a tranquil beach but NOT touristy Varadero.

Any suggestions please?

Coral Gables...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Havana, Varadero
reviews: 167
1. Re: Havana & beach resort

You can stay in Playas del Este (Santa Maria beach) in Havana, but unfortunately wont find any real good hotels, The best you would find there would be the Atlantico which is only 3.5 Star. You can also try Cayo Levisa which is in the Pinar del Rio province, The beach there is beautiful and the area is defenitely not as " touristy" as Varadero.

montreal
reviews: 55
2. Re: Havana & beach resort

You will probably have to book a deserted island to not go to a touristy beach.

But that being said Cayo largo while still visited by tourists is not nearly as busy or as visited as Varadero. It is an incredible stretch of beach where a 5 minute walk can mean you are all alone.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Havana & beach resort

If you're staying at the Saratoga then none of the resorts on the Eastern Beaches close to Havana will come remotely close to meeting your standards - they are a HUGE step down from the Saratoga.

Also consider Cayo Largo, you can fly direct right out of Havana.

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 69
4. Re: Havana & beach resort

re post #1........."Atlantico which is only 3.5 Star"

----------------

Let's not get too generous now. That joint is 2.5 star tops no matter what the web sites claim.

Maybe Breezes Jibacoa? tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1199960-d25418…

montreal
reviews: 55
5. Re: Havana & beach resort

Ah yes i forgot about Jibacoa, a very good choice. I stayed there twice a few years back. Jibacoa has only 2 resorts on a pretty nice stretch of beach, the sand is not as good as Varadero or cayo largo but the snorkeling is pretty good from the beach.

The resort at breezes is very popular and has a huge amount of repeat customers it is so popular that even in low season the price does not dramaticaly drop.

that might be a good option for you.

UK
6. Re: Havana & beach resort

Thank you for your quick & speedy replies!

So kind of you all.

I will look at them all & let you know!

Calgary, Canada
7. Re: Havana & beach resort

I forgot about Jibacoa too. Neither resort is anywhere near close to the Saratoga's (wannabe) 5 star rating, but as cps66 mentions that area has a very loyal following and it's certainly nothing like Varadero's touristy vibe...

Cheers,

Terry

Varadero, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
reviews: 21
8. Re: Havana & beach resort

As Jibacoa is 60 km from Havana, and all inclusive, for a nice day out, the best option would be a day tour Cayo Largo. You leave early in the morning and arrive back at late afternoon. You spend about the same amount as going to Jibacoa by taxi and paying a day pass. Outside the Breezes resort, in Jibacoa there is practically nothing. The beach is ok in the resort, but outside is more for snorkel.

Calgary, Canada
9. Re: Havana & beach resort

ParticularCuba, the OPer wants a week on the beach, not a day trip.

Cheers,

Terry

Varadero, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
reviews: 21
10. Re: Havana & beach resort

Sorry, I missed that part. Then Varadero or Cayo Largo for the week. I would go to Cayo Largo...