We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling from Cuba to Canada

Toronto
reviews: 4
Calling from Cuba to Canada

All,

What is the best and cheapest way for someone to call from Cuba to Canada (ie Rogers/Bell/Phone Cards/Etc)? And what kind of rates are we looking at?

I have a group going down to Cuba for our wedding, and since it is Adults only, alot of them are leaving their kids back in Canada with Family and want to call a couple of times during the week to check in.

Thoughts? I know it can get quite expensive.

Cheers.

Stephan

Nova Scotia, Canada
1. Re: Calling from Cuba to Canada

When you get to Cuba, you can purchase phone cards at your hotel to use in the public phones. That is the most economical. Most cards that you bring from Canada don't work (in my experience). NEVER call from your hotel room, as the price absolutely sky-rockets! Ditto for calling from a hotel phone in the lobby. There are usually a few phone booths around each hotel.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
2. Re: Calling from Cuba to Canada

Like Madrugada said, you can call Canada from Cuba by purchasing a calling card in Cuba. It will cost about 2CUC/minute, so it's not cheap... Calling cards purchased outside of Cuba will not work, ditto for 1-800 numbers.

As for you cell phones, only Rogers/Fido will work. It's free to receive text messages and 0.60$ to send one. calls are 4$/minute...

You can use internet, you just have to by a card in your hotel, usually around 6CUC/hour. But internet is generally slow and it's sometime frustrating.

If you decide to call collect to Canada, it will cost the person you call 35$ just to accept the call, then 3-4$$minute...

The less expensice way to talk to Canada is for someone from Canada to call you. They can do the 1010620 before they do the number of your hotel and it will be 0.95$/minute plus taxes, billed directly on their phone bill. The best is to send them a text message if someone has Fido/Rogers to tell them your room number so they don't waist time at the receiption when they call you. Also, give them an appointment to make sure you are in your room when they call.

Toronto
reviews: 4
3. Re: Calling from Cuba to Canada

Thanks Madrugada54 and Gengen.

I will pass on that information to the guests that will be joining me in Cuba.

I have never called back to Canada so I had no idea what type of costs they would be expecting.

So far, I think I will suggest they have the people in Canada call them using 1010620.

4. Re: Calling from Cuba to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 02, 2009