We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer, what do I need to know?

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
First timer, what do I need to know?

Looking at traveling to Barbados for the first time in either Sept or Oct. 5 nights for couple in their 50-60's Want to be on the beach, flying from Phila Pa US. Really know nothing about the island, we like to drive around and try different places to eat and see the island, is this a safe thing to do there? What hotels would you recommend?Hubby has bad knees, so we don't want to have to do alot of steps.Any info is welcome :) Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
reviews: 7
1. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

Suggest Tropical Sunset Hotel on the west coast in Holetown - hotel is not expensive and is right on the beach, has a pool too - or for a more upscale hotel, one of the best on the island, - suggest the Sandpiper Inn,also in Holetown, there are lots of restaurants, bars, activities, good transportation, a big supermarket (with IGA products!)- ideal for a couple in the 50-60 yr range - safe yes - take the same sensible steps as you would back in the States, don't go out of your way to look for trouble - don't leave expensive cameras etc. unattended on the beach or on display in your rental car - just normal sensible behaviour. One can walk around safely in the evening to go out for dinner, and not worry - (no need to take the car for many local restaurants) - area is popular with N. Americans, and British visitors. Many excellent places of interest that can be visited either by car or public transport, which is very good. Island is roughly triangular, the west coast is on the calmer Caribbean Sea, the east coast is on the wild Atlantic ocean and the south coast is where the two different waters meet - and thus has some parts with calmer waters, and some more "wavy' areas -

Whole island is only about 22 miles in length so nowhere is very far away. Wonderful island - no need to think about all inclusive accommodation - Barbados is a tropical island that is also very "civilized" with good infrastructure and accommodation and dining budgets to suit all ranges and tastes. Enjoy - have a super vacation!

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 5
2. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

Hello! I too am a First Timer to Barbados and we are going this month! The following are some "Fun Facts about Barbados" that I have accumulated in my research. If I'm wrong about anything anyone, please feel free to correct me!

People of Barbados are called Bajans ~

Barbados is only 13 degrees north of the Equator ~

Barbados is teensy... "21 miles long & a smile (14 miles) wide!" ~

FLYING FISH with actual wings literally fly across the sea to escape prey ~

The birthplace of Rum ~ Dis is where de’ Rum comes from!

Green Monkeys inhabit the island & roam freely about ~

LOTS of Sea Turtles that you can SWIM with on my Bucket List!

Green Turtles, Loggerheads, Hawksbills & Leatherbacks & are protected ~

It is the Easternmost island in the Lesser Antilles, West Indies...located above Venezuela & West of Africa ~

Little Britain of the Caribbean: African & British cultures as it was a British colony until 1966 ~

They have afternoon tea in Barbados~

“Chattel houses” … movable houses set on blocks (not anchored into the ground) & built entirely out of wood, assembled without nails ~

Bajan food called “roti” & cutters ~

Barbados water is among the purest in the world …can drink from the tap & was the 1st Caribbean island to have piped water ~

Sugar cane crops were referred to as white gold & have a Crop Over Festival to celebrate each year that looks almost Mardi Gras like…

Excellent telecommunications systems ~ (remains to be seen...)

Claims to be blessed with 3000 hrs of sunshine a year… (also remains to be seen...lol)

British Airways Concorde is retired at the International airport along with a museum ~

Mongoose live there ~ furry creatures that run across the road (like deer & groundhogs in Western PA) ~

The entire island is only 2 times the size of Washington DC ! ~

Lighthouse on Ragged Point

Animal Flower Cave, North Point, Barbados

And the final fun fact & the most shocking for me ~ is that Camouflage (any form) is illegal & reserved for the military only ~

Palm Beach Condos...
reviews: 7
3. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

Another hotel you might also consider is The Colony Club - just slightly north of The Sandpiper Inn,( as you stated either Sept. or Oct. - and the Sandpiper will not reopen after its annual renovation until Sept. 28 ) or The Coral Reef Hotel, which, after Sandy Lane Hotel - in our opinion, is the best hotel on the island.

Also I forgot to mention - in Barbados the water is safe to drink straight from the tap - the island has excellent potable water. Great restaurants in the Holetown area are Tides, Nishi, and slightly north - Lonestar, and in the Paynes Bay area of the west coast - Cin Cin. One of the best special trips one can undertake is to go swimming with the endangered turtles -and also visit to some marvelous botanical gardens, such as Huntes Grds, Amdromeda Grds, Orchid World, and the Flower Forest. And if you like Malls - the new LimeGrove Lifestyle centre in Holetown, has such stores as Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, etc.

Sheffield, England
reviews: 30
4. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

As said, it's perfectly safe to get around on your own provided you rxvercise common sense and take normal steps to protect your safety.

Some south coast hotel options for you are Southern Palms Beach - a really good choice I think given the way it is laid out. It's ideal if you have mobility issues but you will need a ground floor room. It is on a fabulous beach and there is easy access to restaurants etc.

York, Pennsylvania
reviews: 1
5. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

I hope you have a great time. My family is considering going there next June and I would love to know how your trip went. We are from Pennsylvania and a little concerned about renting a car due to the left side driving. Please let me know how your trip went and any helpful tips.

Thanks and have a great time!

Oakville, Canada
reviews: 13
6. Re: First timer, what do I need to know?

Below is a link to some e-guides that have excellent info about Barbados.

mydestination.com/barbados/…insandouts

Reply to: First timer, what do I need to know?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted