We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Dallas
reviews: 33
Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Okay - I know there have been many threads on hotel help, so I'll try to be specific.

So far, I've gotten narrowed the results down to Tamarind, Colony Club, and Little Arches.

1. This is my first time to Barbados. From what I've seen, most people do not rent cars so I would want somewhere central to nice restaurants. My wife and I are in our early 30's so not looking to 'party' per se, but love great food and a drink at a cool bar.

2. The kind of hotels we like are ones with great ambience, clean/modern rooms, and good service. Restaurants IN the hotel is not important. An adult only vibe would be nice but not a must. Just not looking to stay at a place without kids running around screaming.

3. The hotels listed are within my budget. Places like Sandy Lane and the Fairmont are too high. Am I missing any other hotels/condos/b&bs to consider within this price range?

4. Umbrellas and loungers would be GREAT as I'm already dark and do not need a tan! lol. From what I can tell all hotels mentioned have umbrellas except Little Arches.

5. So far I've seen mixed reviews on comparisons between the hotels I listed. Since the Tamarind has been renovated, is it as nice as the Colony Club now, or does Colony Club still win? Out of those 2, how would the winner compare to Little Arches? If it helps in your recommendations, right now Little Arches costs the least $, then Tamarind, then Colony in my searches (expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc).

Edited: 6:44 pm, December 10, 2012
Dallas
1. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Additional Questions:

Should Beach View even be considered? I know it's ranked very high in TA, but I wasn't sure if it's in the same tier as the others mentioned. Also, it seems like there would be a lot of kids but I'm not sure.

What about SilverPointe? I realize it is less expensive, but I could upgrade to a studio ocean front room for a little more than regular rooms at hotels already mentioned.

Side Note: I was excited about The Crane until I saw how inconvenient it is to stay there.

Dallas
2. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

anyone?

South Yorkshire
reviews: 24
3. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Just to confuse you a little more . Have a look at the reviews about Ocean Two .

Cardiff, UK
reviews: 73
4. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Dear Hawaii Lover 81

If you look at the reviews for Tamarind or Colony Club, page after page, you will find it hard to find a review under 4 out of 5 stars.

Having stayed at Tamarind twice now, most recently in June of this year, my wife and I can highly recommend the hotel, for its warm and welcoming staff, lovely rooms, beautiful grounds, very good food and fab breakfasts to start the day, comfy sun beds with umbrellas, fantastic free water sports, and good snorkelling just off the beach and swimming with turtles for free nearby. Also you can have fabulous walks by the sea from here.

Regarding kids : from conversations with guests there with children and from reading TA reports they have such a fantastic kids club that parents have to tear their young ones away to do anything else – so most of them will be well occupied !

Moreover, if you stay at either Tamarind or Colony Club – you can have the best of both worlds as they have a lovely, comfortable, very well shaded, regular, free water taxi to take you to either resort where you can use the facilities. Certainly Colony Club is really beautiful : lovely beach with gorgeous hotel grounds and meandering pools to swim in….and great sun beds with shades.

If you go to the reviews for Tamarind and look towards the bottom right of the page you will see numbers of the pages – why not go back to page 6. In there we wrote a review after our June visit entitled “ Why Did We Find This Place So Special ?... with 15 of our photos. I can honestly tell you that the photos you can see on the hotel’s own website do not lie - what is written on the side of the tin is what you get inside !!!

Also, close by and within a short cheap bus or taxi ride there are lots of fine restaurants and cheap local food eats.

Close by: Scarlets for great cocktails and fine food just across the road. And local food eateries like Mr Vics, Roti Den and Karibu

In Holetown : a short distance north by quick, very cheap bus or reasonably priced taxi - Fine Dining : Tides, The Beach House. Cheaper places like Just Grillin and Surfside.

When you are in the Tamarind Reviews page. look up at the top and you will see a heading “ St James Parish” click on this and then when you are in that page click on the heading at the top “ Restaurants “ in the green band and you will get all the reviews for local places to eat rated No1, 2, 3 etc .

Enjoy making your choice !

regards, Beachandsea

We are off to Tamarind again for this Christmas / New Year – counting the

days now !

Edited: 4:51 am, December 11, 2012
Holetown, Barbados
reviews: 23
5. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Tamarind is very nice,especially now, but in a poor position on a busy main road and a car or bus ride from most of the main restaurants of on the west coast which are mainly centred around Holetown. For me, however, Colony Club stills wins out for attractiveness, position, ie well off the road in it's own gardens, location close to Holetown, and most definitely beach, which is a beautiful one. Their Sunday Brunches are mega !

I don't know if Sandpiper or Coral Reef are in your budget, but these two hotels win over all the others you have mentioned , but they are both pricey.

I have seen inside Little Arches and do not consider that it can be compared with Colony Club. It is much smaller and not on the beach,and appears a bit dark to me, but then again if small is your requirement and Sandpiper is out of budget, it could be a good option.

No , I agree, Beach View is not a hotel, it is 4 uninspiring concrete blocks of Time Share condos ( many unsold I understand ) across a busy road from a narrow beach and a fish market , although you can walk further up to the main body of Paynes Beach. How it is rated on Trip Advisor over Sandy Lane etc etc ??? Go figure!

Of your choices, I would choose Colony Club every time, but you will have a great time wherever you choose, because whatever the hotel is like, you will be in Barbados, and you will love it!

Edited: 6:56 am, December 11, 2012
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 187
6. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Just to clarify, Beach View is not across from the Fish Market. The Fish Market is next door to Mahogany Bay which is 5 minutes walk down the road from Beach View.

While Beach View isn't a hotel, it is a fantastic condominium complex with great amenities. The beach is immediately across the road.

Henley on Thames
reviews: 18
7. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

I would also look at Ocean 2 a modern contemporary hotel close to other bars & restaurants. I would decide on an area first west or south. Silver Point & Little Arches are both great hotels but I would want a car if I stayed at either of these, the same would apply for the Crane again a great hotel but just a bit too remote without transport.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 55
8. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

Based on your well documented requirements which were very helpful, Colony Club meets your criteria the best. It is a stately hotel and close to restaurants, Holetown and central to many other things that you might be interested in.

Beach View though modern isn't really close to anything within walking distance nor really central nor is the property "on" a beach, you'd have to cross a busy busy road.

Dallas
9. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

THANK YOU ALL for such helpful advice!

Little Arches, BeachView, and SilverPointe are all out of the mix now.

Beachandsea - thank you for all of the recommendations. I actually read your review twice! If I stay at the Tamarind, would upgrading to an Ocean Front room (formerly Deluxe Ocean View) room be worth it? It's hard to tell how GOOD of an ocean view you get. Is it really ocean FRONT or just a view with the pool, etc in front?

Westiegal3 - I suspected that Colony Club was a slight notch above (for my preferences), but researching the website and reviews makes them seem very even. It makes sense based on price though. Here's a question. Colony Club garden room is more expensive apples to apples, but ocean front at Tamarind is only 200$ more (for the week) than the Colony Club garden view. Would you still say go for Colony club having that info?

I'm booking a 1 flight + hotel combo via the popular travel sites and haven't seen Sandpiper come up (I've been looking for it!). For that reason, it's out of my budget because I save alot of $ by booking the flight+hotel combo (unless there is another travel sight you have seen this on). I need to look for Coral Reef - will do now. Thanks!

footychick - I think I've decided on the West now. OceanTwo regular room is the same price as an ocean Front room at Tamarind. Do you think OceanTwo is better?

Canby - thank you. Same question for you as I posed to Westiegal3.

To all. Thank you again! I was wondering why no one responded but now I know.

Last question - my overall budget for the week is 4k USD. I have a free flight and so that's why I'm booking 1 flight +hotel combo. I allocated 2500$ for the flight+hotel and the remaining $ for food/entertainment/taxis. After looking at a few menus last night, I am beginning to think 200$/day is not enough if I want to go to places like Daphnes, Cliff, etc. We usually share a bottle of wine.

I realize the west coast is expensive but I can get away with 200$/day in Hawaii (which is also known to be expensive). Are the other 'nice' restaurants so expensive or did I just happen to pick the worst offenders?

Edited: 10:21 am, December 11, 2012
Dallas
10. Re: Hotel Help - Colony/Little Arches/Tamarind...others?

THANK YOU ALL for such helpful advice!

Little Arches, BeachView, and SilverPointe are all out of the mix now.

Beachandsea - thank you for all of the recommendations. I actually read your review twice! If I stay at the Tamarind, would upgrading to an Ocean Front room (formerly Deluxe Ocean View) room be worth it? It's hard to tell how GOOD of an ocean view you get. Is it really ocean FRONT or just a view with the pool, etc in front?

Westiegal3 - I suspected that Colony Club was a slight notch above (for my preferences), but researching the website and reviews makes them seem very even. It makes sense based on price though. Here's a question. Colony Club garden room is more expensive apples to apples, but ocean front at Tamarind is only 200$ more (for the week) than the Colony Club garden view. Would you still say go for Colony club having that info?

I'm booking a 1 flight + hotel combo via the popular travel sites and haven't seen Sandpiper come up (I've been looking for it!). For that reason, it's out of my budget because I save alot of $ by booking the flight+hotel combo (unless there is another travel sight you have seen this on). I need to look for Coral Reef - will do now. Thanks!

footychick - I think I've decided on the West now. OceanTwo regular room is the same price as an ocean Front room at Tamarind. Do you think OceanTwo is better?

Canby - thank you. Same question for you as I posed to Westiegal3.

To all. Thank you again!

Last question - my overall budget for the week is 4k USD. I have a free flight and so that's why I'm booking 1 flight +hotel combo. I allocated 2500$ for the flight+hotel and the remaining $ for food/entertainment/taxis. After looking at a few menus last night, I am beginning to think 200$/day is not enough if I want to go to places like Daphnes, Cliff, etc. We usually share a bottle of wine.

I realize the west coast is expensive but I can get away with 200$/day in Hawaii (which is also known to be expensive). Are the other 'nice' restaurants so expensive or did I just happen to pick the worst offenders?

Edited: 10:22 am, December 11, 2012