We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

Washington, DC
HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

I'm going to Bermuda next week and have become very apprehensive. What type of weather does October bring? Was there much damage brought on by the hurricanes? I'm staying at the Fairmont Southampton and am wondering what type of hotel to expect? I've often heard that Bermuda is terribly expensive. How much money should I expect to spend on food per day? (I"m talking lunch and dinner)

I know...so many questions at this late stage in the game, but I would greatly appreciate any information or advice anyone can provide. I feel so dumb because I was actually thinking of real tropical weather (like Jamaica tropical). Please help!!!!

North Carolina
reviews: 320
1. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

You may want to check www.weather.bm for some specifics. Generally speaking you have picked a lovely time to visit Bermuda. Flowers will be blooming, the water will still be warm enough to enjoy swimming and the days should be warm. Take a light jacket for mopeds, boats or evenings. The Fairmont Southhampton is a very large hotel which has all the bells and whistles, including great spa and ocean views. Theirs is a private beach with a beach club and bar.

There are a huge variety of restaurants in Bermuda. While many are expensive you can certainly find relatively inexpensive choices. The Lighthouse Cafe at Gibb's, Aggie's, Paraquet, Monty's, HogPenny, La Trattoria, and Portofino are lower cost options offering good food. I recommend having your largest meal at lunch, when even the best restaurants become affordable. Waterloo, Ascots, and the Bistro at the Underwater Exploration Museum are all good lunch choices.

Have a wonderful time. Bermuda is gorgeous.

USA
reviews: 3
2. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

October weather on Bermuda can range from warm, sunny days in the low-70°s-to-low-80°s (nighttime temps dropping 6°-t0-12°s) to the occasional Category 3 hurricane...and anything in between....but hurricanes are not nearly as common as some think...and even when one is churning its way north through the Atlantic, it will usually not directly affect Bermuda. It's '..weather..' and there's no accountin' for it. Average Ocean Water temps will run in the mid-70°s....not exactly '..bath-water'' warm...but still comfortable for most.

BERMUDA WEATHER--

http://www.weather.bm/

CLIMATE AVERAGES--

http://www.weather.bm/data/climatology.html

SHARK OIL--

http://www.sharkoil.bm/

As for the damage done to Bermuda by the recent Hurricane Florence, Bermuda came off relatively well...and if you aren't a repeat visitor, you may not notice much or any damage. Storm surge and higher than average tides may have changed some of the contours of the beaches...but if you've never been on those beach before, you won't know the difference.

Average food costs will depend largely on where you eat. If you lunch and dine at the Fairmont Southampton, you can probably expect $20-30 per person for lunch and $40-60 per person for dinner. You can easily spend more..but probably not a lot less. What would you expect to pay for lunches or dinners at better restaurants in Georgetown?

Washington, DC
3. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

Thanks for the responses. You both have really put my mind at ease. I feel so dopey because all of a sudden I'm anxious. It's probably the Atlantic weather of recent.

As far as the cost of eating in Bermuda, the typical costs presented are about what I was thinking, which is probably typical of Georgetown (which is why I don't typically eat in Georgetown :) ) I'm not too worried anymore. Thanks bunches.

One more thing...is there anywhere that you would recommend to get a few items for the room (i.e. water, snack bars)? Whenever I go to Cancun, or any other island for that matter, I usually stock my room with a few necessities. It makes life a little easier.

Thanks again.

North Carolina
4. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

I usually stop by Miles Grocery in Hamilton for those things because they also have some items I take home as souvenirs (my husband loves English jams). There are several grocery stores within a mile or two of the hotel. Get a bus pass when you arrive at the airport. Bermuda has a first rate public transportation system (my favorite component of which is the ferries). Now, stop worrying and prepare yourself for a wonderful trip. Bermuda is another world.

Washington, DC
5. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

Thanks so much! You have truly put my mind at ease. I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time. After all, it's what you make it, isn't it?

Pembroke
6. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

the hurricane was nothing really. 100MPH is nothing for us. some tree damage, a bit of very minor property damage, and yes- some beach erosion.

the flowers will not be blooming and you will notice a lot of 'windburnt' trees, bushes and flowers.

that is the main effect the hurricane had. the high winds along with salt spray, followed by scorching hot sun right after the storm, 'burns up' a lot of the flowers and trees.

it's still beautiful but it will be next year before you see most of the flowers and stuff really out in their glory again.

right now it looks like it would in the states when all the leaves are dropping off. brown leaves and quite a few bare trees.

but like i said- it's still beautiful.

North Carolina
7. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

Sorry about my error, the Bermyman is there and he can tell you better than I about the flowers. On past October visits I have seen hibiscus, impatiens and oleander in bloom. Maybe that will be an incentive to return.

USA
reviews: 3
8. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

If you will be staying at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel on the South Road, then there will be two(2) markets along your most likely daily routes--either east or west.One is the MODERN MART, at 104 South Road, located about half-way (12-15 minutes)between the hotel and downtown Hamilton. If you will be riding the public buses, there are stops for the #7--Hamilton-South Shore Beaches-Dockyard bus route right there for easy 'hop-off/hop-on' shopping convenience This is a small supermarket and liquor store...and should suit all of yoiur needs. Heading in the other direction, there is a larger MARKET PLACE supermarket, at 48 Somerset Road, located about half-way (12-15 minutes) between the hotel and the Dockyard complex at Bermuda's far west-end. Again, there are bus stops right at the market for convenience. Either market will suit your need for snacks, beverages, wine, beer liquors, as well as picnic fixin's.

If you will be using the SH's water shuttel between Southampton and Hamilton, the most convenient place will probably be MILES MARKET at 96 Pitt's Bay Road, located about half-way (on the harbourside..near Waterloo House) between the '..Birdcage..' on Front St. and the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. Miles Market does really nice prepared foods and '..box lunches..' for picnics.

There are really no 'discount' liquor stores on Bermuda, so if you have a prefered drink, you should probably stop at the DUTY FREE shop at your US departure airport and pick up your personal preference(s) to carry along with you.

MODERN MART & The MARKET PLACE--

http://www.marketplace.bm/

MILES MARKET--

http://www.miles.bm/Miles-Axiom/index.html

Pembroke
9. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

You can still see some of that. I do not mean to say there are NO flowers or whatever, just that it is nothing what it normally would be.

Many flowers and trees have been burnt up, particularly those near the shores of course.

You will still see some flowers but nothing like normal. Some call hurricanes 'nature's way of pruning!' There has been a good bit of pruning but things will be back to 100% next year and are still beautiful NOW.

FYI- October is one of the nicest times of year for visitors. It's not as busy as the summer, we have some of the more spectacular sunsets in October (not sure why that is, but it's true), and it is cooler in the evenings than in the other summer months.

I know some tourists can't take the heat of July or August, so October is perfect for them. I personally LOVE the heat but that's from growing up in Bermuda!

October tends to still be nice and warm but cooler in the shade and in the evenings. Even November can be that way although the ocean is cooler too.

But if you're from a cold climate, those temperatures wouldn't bother you.

We spoiled Bermudians don't touch the water once it drops below 78 or 80. Well, at least most of us anyway...

Bonaire
reviews: 137
10. Re: HELP!!!! Bermuda in October, and AFTER the hurricanes...

Why are you researching a trip after its been booked? Curious..I can say having traveled to BDA sometimes 3 times a year, it's pricey..for sure...I always do the MAP at The Reefs but this time (June) we did our own thing and did not find a cheap eats meal we loved..sorry to say...

It's hurricane season as you know and Oct. is the end peak so anything can happen...

Get answers to your questions about Paget Parish