We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bermuda strike

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Bermuda strike

Going to Bermuda in May, recently read about the labor union workers strike. Has this situation resolved itself at this point? My concern is transportation & safety- ( I read the transportation workers ( buses / ferrys) were striking in support of these workers). This situation can't be good for tourism.

I read an article that stated an agreement was reached with the help of the govt. However, has this situation affected overall tourism to the island?

Can anyone residing in Bermuda give some insight? I'm really looking forward to this trip and part of my reason for choosing Bermuda was its reputation for safety.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Bermuda strike

>>>...has this situation affected overall tourism to the island?.... I'm really looking forward to this trip and part of my reason for choosing Bermuda was its reputation for safety...<<<

Labour disputes occur in Bermuda..just as they do elsewhere. They always have. They probably always will. The most recent dispute between the public transportation workers and government are NOTHING NEW. We've been visiting Bermuda for forty(40) odd years and it seems that these brief, OCCASIONAL, entirely PEACEFUL events are as much a part of Bermuda as pink sand beaches and crystal clear water. Can these disputes be inconvenient for tourists ?? Yes......about as inconvenient as a stormy day (these occur a whole lot more than local labour disputes).

So if one of your reasons for choosing Bermuda as a vacation destination is "..safety.." you've no good reason to be concerned. Better you should be concerned about traffic jams on your way between home and the airport....whether the SPF of your sunscreen is high enough or.....if that eother pair of pants you're trying to decide whether to pack or not make your backside look like the back-end of a '56 Buick.

2. Re: Bermuda strike

Your levity is amusing ..... my concern is warranted particularly

in this case with Bermuda, since I cannot physically rent a

car on the island, but must rely on the public transportation

system to get around (which appears at this point to be

sometimey .. with the ongoing ferry strike). Also, someone recently

posted a review on trip advisor on the Fairmont Hamilton Princess

hotel site, with the caption "Beware of Bermuda"

due to recent unrest ( labour strike etc), with the suggestion to check

into other islands for vacation.

I threw this topic out there to get a pulse on the ongoing situation.

Thanks for your input, I will see if others respond as well.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
3. Re: Bermuda strike

We've been going to Bermuda every year for some time now. I sometimes go twice a year. We will be there for three weeks very soon. I don't think that the buses have been affected by the latest strike, just the ferries. Taxis are available as well. Depending on where you are staying then you can also do some walking. No reason to suppose that a transportation strike will necessarily make the island any less safe. I don't remember ever being affected by strikes or any other disturbances in our stays there.

I understand your concerns but really there's nothing we can do about it. Impossible to say what any country or island will be like in May when you think about it. Yes it's an inconvenience for the tourists when a strike happens. It's an inconvenience for the Bermudians too.

Where will you be staying?

Edited: 2:20 pm, February 23, 2014
4. Re: Bermuda strike

Thanks for your response and information, very helpful ...we will be staying at the Fairmont Southhampton. The hotel apparently has a private ferry for it's customers for transport from between both hotels ( the Princess and the Southhampton).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
5. Re: Bermuda strike

I don't know whether the hotel ferry service is affected by the strike. It could be if the ferry operators are unionized. May is quite a long way off anyway. I hope that they will all have settled down long before then, in time for our three weeks vacation !!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
6. Re: Bermuda strike

Hopefully the mess will be cleared up in the next couple of days, but if it isn't the private ferry is unaffected by this.

USA
7. Re: Bermuda strike

>>>...I threw this topic out there to get a pulse on the ongoing situation...<<<

That being the case and your concerns genuine, then it's simple. Here's what ya' do. Every day between now and your proposed travel date, simple check in with local press resources for news and updates...Et voila !!...you're abreast of the "..ongoing situation.."--

http://www.royalgazette.com/

http://www.bermudasun.bm/

http://bernews.com/

8. Re: Bermuda strike

Good to know Sunnysullivan... private ferry is not affected, Senior65 thanks for your kind response, May is a long way off and hopefully all this will be resolved...Kdsail, thanks for the news links..very helpful. We've invested a lot in this trip, just hoping everything turns out great. Looking forward to visiting beautiful Bermuda.

USA
9. Re: Bermuda strike

Even with public ferry service interrupted, it will probably be no more than a minor inconvenience for guests of the Fairmont Southampton Hotel..Guests would rely much more on convenient public bus service (#7 route along the South Road & #8 route along the Middle Road) and the private, hotel ferry service btwn: dock at Waterlot Inn and dock at Fairmont Hamilton Princess...4 ferry runs per day, daily...no evening service) than they would on the public ferry routes (none of which service the FSH directly).

10. Re: Bermuda strike

Thanks, you have alot of knowledge on this topic, well appreciated !

Reply to: Bermuda strike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted