We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a scooter in Bermuda

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton...
reviews: 2
Renting a scooter in Bermuda

Are the scooters safe to drive with a person on the back? Do they have quads to rent or very small cars? What are the cost? Coming in on the Breakaway in Sept. Thanks!!

USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

No...there are no "..quads.." or cars of any sort available for rental in Bermuda.

The motor scooters available for rental in Bermuda are ***SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLES*** (most definitely NOT 'amusement rides' at a theme-park). They ***MUST*** be approached and ridden with the same respect and discretion as any ***SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLE***...no matter how may wheels it may have. If rental motor scooters are handled and treated with this respect, they are certainly safe to ride singly or with a pillion passenger aboard. Blythe recommendations ('..If you can ride a bicycle; you can ride a motor scooter..') and dire 'horror stories' ('..You'll be maimed or killed..') are equally RUBBISH. As with any other vehicle, accidents and injuries do occur (rental cars in Orlando as well as bicycles on the Lackawanna rail-trail). It's equally true that tens of thousands of visitors ride rental motor scooters in Bermuda every year without incidence of accident, injury or death. But rental motor scooters are ***NOT FOR EVERYONE***. You need to make your own decision predicated on your own competence, judgment and '..comfort..' levels.

If you decide not to rent and ride motor scooters in Bermuda as your mode of personal trasnsport, you've a fine alternative in the form of Bermuda's genuinely excellent public transportation system--buses and ferries. These will take to to--or near to--almost anywhere you'll likely to want to go during your Bermuda port call. Purchase a one-day or multi-day TRANSPORTATION PASS and you will have economic and convenient '..hop-on/hop-off..' access to all public buses and ferries in Bermuda.

There is a rental motor scooter shop located directly across (approx. 50-75 yds) from the landward-end of your King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier

OLEANDER CYCLES--

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/

There's plenty of open area within the Royal Naval Dockyard complex to ***PRACTICE***riding and get acquainted and comfortable riding (single & double) a motor scooter ***BEFORE*** you head out onto Bermuda's narrow, winding roads and traffic....or return your scooter and purchase a Transportation Pass.

Edited: 11:58 pm, August 04, 2013
philadelphia
reviews: 27
2. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

We rented a scooter while in Bermuda and had no problem. My husband drove and I was in the back. They don't go very fast, especially uphill. Hubby says you do have to adjust for the extra weight of a passenger, but not a problem.He is an experienced motorcycle rider so it was pretty easy for him.The locals for the msot part were very courteous of tourists driving, but as many have stated in older posts don't look behind you.They do tend to tailgate, and they will pass you. Roads are a litlle winding and you need to drive on the left.Hardest part was the round abouts, but very easy to get around and can't beat being able to go as you please.You can look on line for pricing and there is a discount if you book in advance. Found it to be very reasonable as cabs are very expensive. We had a great time riding around.We did rent from Orleanders and found them to be very reputable.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 9
3. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

I agree that scooters provide the best way to get around Bermuda, IF you can drive one safely. But a lot of tourists get in accidents because they don't know how to drive a scooter, they are not used to driving on the left side of the road, and the roads are windy/tricky.

We thoroughly enjoyed renting a scooter for two days, which allowed us to explore many different parts of the island, from the far western end (National Museum of Bermuda/Dockyards), to Hamilton (center) to the eastern end (scuba diving, and Tom Moore's restaurant near Harrington Bay) and the south shore (lighthouse, Horseshoe Bay Beach). But my friend is an experienced motorcycle/moped driver, and could handle it safely!

We rented from one of the Orleander locations, which was fine.

Bensalem...
4. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

Unless you have experience with either a motorcycle or a scooter, it is not advisable to rent one. Here are my reasons for saying this:

1. They drive on the other side of the road than we do.

2. I personally have seen to many accidents around the port areas in Hamilton and the Royal Dockyard involving passengers from the many cruise lines. What a way to put a kink in your vacation if you're hurt.

3. Many cruise lines remind their passengers that it is not advisable to do this as well. If you're not not going on a shore excursion then stick to using their cabs or use the Pink and Blue bus line which runs the entire island.

4. It's all about the safety! Don't ruin your vacation by getting hurt...

My family and I will be in Bermuda the last week of August on the Breakaway and we will not be renting scooters. There is plenty of other ways to get around the island. We plan on taking the water ferry over to Hamilton for an afternoon and evening of fun. I hope you enjoy your cruise and I hope this information is helpful to you!

5. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

Just returned from Bermuda having sailed on Norwegian Breakaway. Recommend the public transportation system ( its excellent and cheap) for North Americans as we're not used to driving on the left side. Scooters are underpowered and get tailgated by local traffic that is annoyed at the slowdown. There isn't 100 yards of straight road on the island. Its all hills and turns. Scooters are not worth the risk.

If you've never experienced Formula 1 bus drivers get ready for an adventure on Bermuda buses.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

Scooters are just like any other vehicle; they have to be handled with care. But lots of people use them every year and they are fine.

Yes unfortunately accidents do occur, but I am of the opinion that they are still the best way to get around in Bermuda.

7. Re: Renting a scooter in Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 06, 2014