We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December on Bermuda

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
December on Bermuda

Just a few ideas for things to do if you are heading to Bermuda for a few days before Christmas.

The Christmas Boat Parade will be held on Saturday, December 7th. www.bermudaboatparade.bm The Walkabout in St Georges's is on Friday, December 6th. The British style pantomime, which this year is Sleeping Beauty, can be seen in Hamilton. www.bmds.bm

For some shopping, the Island Shop looks lovely at Christmas, lots of interesting ideas for gifts and for yourself. Look out for the lovely watercolours calendars produced by the Amos family of painters. www.bermudacolourscalendar.com They are available in many locations around the island.

The weather will still be warm so you may even get some beach time in. Enjoy.

Edited: 5:20 pm, October 27, 2013
Michigan
reviews: 42
1. Re: December on Bermuda

I am arriving Christmas Eve and leaving New Years Eve! Staying in the Fairylands so that I can hopefully walk to town :) Wish I could see all the stuff you mentioned. I can't wait to experience Bermuda though and tool around the island!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
2. Re: December on Bermuda

I assume that you are renting if you are staying in Fairylands. I don't know that area really except where it is. I imagine that it is a bit of a walk into Hamilton but there are always taxis. Ferries and buses are excellent for getting around once you get to them.

Suggest that you make sure that you have food etc as Christmas Day and Boxing Day are holidays and almost nothing will be open.

It's a shame that you will miss the events I mentioned but I'm sure that you will enjoy just being on the island.

There are a few people who contribute to this forum who have stayed on the island during the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. If they see your post they may give you some useful information.

Edited: 12:33 pm, October 28, 2013
Michigan
3. Re: December on Bermuda

Thank you! Yes I've been reading a lot on here for tips on visiting during the holiday. I am renting a room and the owner has been kind enough to offer to pre-buy some food necessities for me. I think I'm going to eat the Christmas meal at fairmount Hamilton. And hopefully head to elbow beach in the morning.

On Boxing Day I want to see the harness races and just do some general site seeing.

I'm very excited to see this great island :)

Michigan
4. Re: December on Bermuda

Thank you! Yes I've been reading a lot on here for tips on visiting during the holiday. I am renting a room and the owner has been kind enough to offer to pre-buy some food necessities for me. I think I'm going to eat the Christmas meal at fairmount Hamilton. And hopefully head to elbow beach in the morning.

On Boxing Day I want to see the harness races and just do some general site seeing.

I'm very excited to see this great island :)

I am a single gal traveling alone and Bermudas great reviews of how safe it is and how nice the people are are putting me at ease!

Michigan
5. Re: December on Bermuda

Sorry for the double post... Oops!

Michigan
6. Re: December on Bermuda

I do have one question. Since the winter daylight hours are so shortened and I'm staying in a location with no bus access, what are the thoughts on walking from Point Shares to Hamilton after sunset? I am definitely okay with cars buzzing by and curvy/hilly roads. I'm thinking to save some money, that I wouldn't mind walking IN to town in early evening, but probably taking a cab back each night as I wouldn't want to be wandering around that late.

USA
7. Re: December on Bermuda

The walking route from the Point Shares neighborhood, to the west of downtown Hamilton, to the main ferry terminal at Front & Queen Sts. will be approx. 1½-1¾ mile. Most of the route is safe enough, though there are no sidewalks or street lights along Pitts Bay, between Fairylands Road and the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel and the road has a few blind or half-blind curves...so you will NEED to stay close to the edge (in places sheer rock walls) when walking (day or night) and be VERY aware of traffic. Last year a pedestrian visitor was hit by a motorcycle and died of their injuries along this same stretch.

If/when the new, higher taxi fare rates go into effect, the taxi fare between downtown and Point Shares will be approx. $10

Edited: 4:22 pm, October 29, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
8. Re: December on Bermuda

I think that the cab back is a good idea. Perhaps make a decision about the walking in after you get there and get a sense of what the walk is like. There will be some sidewalks. When I'm there on my own I usually have a meal while I'm out during the day and take something back to have in my apartment in the evening. I have walked around after dark in St George's but I'm usually tired after being out most of the day and glad to relax and watch some TV in the evening.

Michigan
9. Re: December on Bermuda

Thank you for your responses :) They are very helpful. I figured that road was pretty "tight" at certain spots and that was probably my biggest deterent from walking at night. I will heed your advice and play it safe by taking a cab after dark or bring back my dinner and stay in for the evening and enjoy the view of the Sound from my balcony! Thank you!

10. Re: December on Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 01, 2014