We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 2
Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Have any of you chickens out there conquered your fears to do a helmet dive? It looks like an awesome experience, but I am not sure if I can get past my fears. I did not have much success with snorkeling, but have hiked the Baths in Virgin Gorda and swam - well walked among the sting rays in Grand Cayman.

Also, is there any going back if I try and feel I cannot do it or will I disrupt everyone in my group by doing so?

9 replies to this topic
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
1. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Why not discuss it with the dive people? I'm sure that you are not the only one who is apprehensive.

USA
2. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

YES....given that you're '..tethered..' to the dive boat by the air hose, you can signal that you want to climb back up to the boat. Underwater and boat's crew will assist you. You wouldn't be the first apprehensive/anxious client they've dealt with. But...unless you have a peculiar degree of difficulty or discomfort with the experience (extreme claustrophobia, etc...in which case you probably won't be doin' a helmet dive to begin with), I rather doubt that you'll need or want to. Helmet diving is certainly a '..novel..' experience...but after any initial apprehension, it's one that's remarkably pleasant. More likely will be that you WON'T want to return to the boat when the excursion time has expired.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
3. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

That's the answer I was hoping for. Thanks.

USA
4. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

'..Helmet Dive for Chickens..' is a 'visual' for the mind's-eye that's more than a little bizarre. Do 'Rhode Island Reds' prefer 'tanks' or two-piece ?

USA
5. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Snorkeling kittens ??.....Waterskiing ferrets ??...Parasailing polar bears ??...Scuba diving sows ??....High diving hippos ?? Synchronized swimming dairy herds ??

United States
6. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

We did the Helmet Dive years ago and loved it. I cannot scuba dive & do snorkel but very uncomfortable. My husband is a diver & he loved it. It is a small group and he keeps everyone together. While under the water he introduces you to some of his marine friends & shows many interesting things. He even will take a photo of you with an Angel Fish. You will not regret it. It is very safe. And your hair never gets wet!!!

Boston...
7. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Had a great time on the helmet dive in Bermuda on Monday. It was scary before you get in but the its not too deep. The helmet gets heavy after a while but you can lift it up a little to give yourself a break. It was not as frightening as I find snorkeling to be - i'm a bit chicken in the ocean. My husband was a little weirded out before we went in and he loved it too. Greg the operator is super nice and will work with your fears. We had a woman who'd been in a water accident and one who couldn't swim on our trip and they both loved it once they were back on the boat.

Northfield, OH
8. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

Sailing mid October with RCL and docking at King's Wharf. The 5 hr. tour of Bermuda and the tour of the movie star homes is booked solid. Do you know if there are places on the dock to book excursions from like these or the helmet dive? I can't swim a stroke and sink like a rock but hubby is a diver and wants me to do this so bad. How deep down do you go in the water? Wondering how cold the water will be in another month. Any pointers you can give on Bermuda would be really appreciated since we have never been there.

Do you know anything about a street fair on Weds. evening in Hamilton on Front Street? Thanks much!

USA
9. Re: Helmet Dive for Chickens?

>>>... I can't swim a stroke and sink like a rock but hubby is a diver and wants me to do this so bad. How deep down do you go in the water? Wondering how cold the water will be in another month....<<<

In this case of underwater, watersports...'...sinking like a stone..' is a point in your favour. You do NOT '..swim..' when you're helmet diving; you simply 'sink' to the bottom with an air-fed helmet on your head and '..walk..' around on the sandy bottom. You're only '..down..' at a depth of 12'-15'...only a little deeper than the 'deep end' of the average swimming pool. So, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time; you can '..helmet dive..' with the best of 'em. The experience looks pretty much like the photos. Depending on how early or late your proposed Bermuda cruise is, the Ocean Water Temps that you can expect will run anywhere from the low-80°s (early in the month) to the mid-70°s (late in the month)....which is usually quite 'comfortable' for most.

>>>...Do you know anything about a street fair on Weds. evening in Hamilton on Front Street?...<<<

HARBOUR NIGHTS, on Wednesday evenings in downtown Hamilton is a '..street fair..'. They close Front, Queen and Reid streets to vehicular traffic. There are local artists and artisans that set up booths and table, the stores remain open later (until 8-9 PM...so you don't have to waste perfectly good beach time, indoors shopping) there's local entertainments and family activities and events. It's a lotta' fun. You can simply take the BLUE--Dockyard-Hamilton public ferry from the end of your cruise ship pier to the terminal along the waterfront in downtown Hamilton. You do **NOT** have to sign up for any cockamamie, cruise-line '..shore excursion..' (unless you just enjoy wasting your hard earned cash...then by all means, go for it)

>>>...Any pointers you can give on Bermuda would be really appreciated since we have never been there...<<<

YUP....'..invest..' so time scrolling through the archives of this BERMUDA travel forum...doing some of your own destination research...filtered through your own personal preferences, priorities, special needs, budget and '..expectations..'. Then return and ask any questions regarding additional information, experience and advice. You'll receive pretty much all and more than your need or want.

Reply to: Helmet Dive for Chickens?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted