We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a local experience

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
reviews: 54
Looking for a local experience

I have 2 days in Bermuda. My cruise docks at King's Wharf in August. I'm looking to get away from the cruise crowds and maybe do some more local things, like local bars, local restaurants, local nightlife, local beaches, etc.

Not looking for the tourist experience.

Do places like these exist near (or easily accessible) where my cruise docks? I'd prefer to not have to take an expensive taxi, although we are 4 people, so it might not be too terrible. We are fine with local buses. Thanks!

USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Looking for a local experience

You'll find that perhaps the most '..local..' experience you can have in Bermuda is to simply ride her excellent public transportation system--buses and ferries. Thy're relatively inexpensive with the purchase of an one-day or multi-day TRANSPORTATION PASS. The TRANSPORTATION PASS provides you with simple, convenient '..hop-on/hop-of..' access to all publc buses and ferries. Just about every minute, of every mile, of every bus or ferry route is a '..Great Ride..' seeing Bermuda's incredible natural beauty through '..picture windows..' as you go...and chatting with the many local residents who also ride the buses and ferries...and love their beautiful island home.

'..You may recall Walt Kelly's wisdom..."..We have met the enemy...and he is us...". With this in mind, skip the '..Special..' bus that makes an express run between the King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier and Horseshoe Bay. Take a 'regular' #7--Dockyard-Via South Shore Beaches-Hamilton bus and take it to WARWCK LONG BAY/JOPBSON'S COVE.

Funny thing about Bermuda and Bermudians. Most of 'em ain't on vacation...and most of 'em have jobs to be at during the week...so the overwhelming majority of people you're gonna' see on Bermuda's wonderful beaches during the week are gonna' be, "..we...us..".

For a great Bermuda experience, hire a BLUE FLAG certified taxi tour guide and take a private taxi tour of Bermuda. Look for the BLUE FLAG decal, medallion or fender flag on the taxi) The fixed rate is $40.00 per hour for 1-4 passengers, with a three(3) hour minimum. Best tour of Bermuda you can take...a whole lot cheaper (when divided 4 ways) than any shore excursion the cruise line offers....and it's YOUR tour...and private..

New York, NY
reviews: 54
2. Re: Looking for a local experience

Thank you for that tip. What about as far as local restaurants and nightlife? What are some good options for local cuisine that's not overpriced like I've seen touristy restaurants are?

USA
reviews: 3
3. Re: Looking for a local experience

I'm not sure that there's all that much '..local cuisine..' in Bermuda...cod fish cakes and potatoes for Sunday breakfast, shark hash, fish chowder. Take a Fish Chowder '..tour..' of Bermuda...Lobster Pot in downtown Hamilton, Black Horse Tavern out on Saint David's Island are good spots.

Insofar as restaurants are concerned, you'll find that resident Bermudians dine at the same places as dreaded tourists. With usually more tourists in Bermuda on any given day than residents...it's hard not to...and since Bermudians tend to be very hospitable people, they tolerate our presence with remarkable sang froid. You also need to bear in mind that Bermudians are probably the most '..traveled..' people you'll ever meet. They spend a lot of their free time as '..tourists..' somewhere else...very often shopping malls in New York, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Toronto, London, et al. There are Bermudians with Metro Cards in their wallets who may be able to recommend restaurants to you in your own neighborhood of New York...and provide you with the best subway route between lower Manhattan and neighborhoods in Queens.

For modestly/moderately priced places to eat in Bermuda try...

PARAQUET RESTAURANT--

http://www.bermudayp.com/dining/view/47:32371

SPECIALTY INN--

bermudayp.com/local/…speciality-inn

The SPOT RESTAURANT (get in for dinner before 7 PM)--

bermuda.com/r-z/spot-restaurant---a-bermudia…

ISLAND CUISINE--Middle Road, Southampton

DOROTHY's COFFEE SHOP--up in the Chancery Lane pedestrian alleyway..Best Burger in Bermuda--

PRIME'S PLACE--downtown Hamilton...Victoria Street

LEMON TREE CAFE--

http://www.lemontreecafe.bm/

4. Re: Looking for a local experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 12, 2014