We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer plans

Kent
reviews: 2
1st timer plans

We are a couple in our 50s and are planning our 1st trip to bermuda in August this year. I have done quite a bit of research on this website but still can't decide. We intend to do some exploring - hamilton, dockyards and st george but we would also like to relax. I like the beach, lovely views etc but my husband would really prefer relaxing at a table in the shade. We both like good restaurants.

Would it be a good idea to spend a few days in hamilton at the start of the holiday to do the sight seeing bit then move to a beach hotel to relax?

I have looked at the reviews for lots of the beach hotels. Cambridge beaches as like adults only but wonder if this is too far out and secluded? - also some reviews are quite negative.

Also the reefs as beach looks lovely - i like the surf - and it seems rooms recently revamped but would it be noisy and full of children in August?

My last 'random' idea is a well reviewed and very smart looking apartment on the sound near Evans bay and a scooter hire to take us to the south shore beaches. It looks very nice and has its own pool but I don't know anything about the area and wonder about the scooter as we are not motorbike riders.

Reading this through, I can see the answer is really - it's up to you! But I would still appreciate any views or comments.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
1. Re: 1st timer plans

Well, in one sense you are quite right, it's really up to you!!! How long are you going for? If for more than a week it might make sense to stay in Hamilton for a few days to browse around and have the convenience of transportation to everywhere on the island. Then move over to the beaches. Personally I would avoid the scooters unless you are confident that you can handle one. Buses and ferries plus taxis are readily available and much safer.

Most rentals have pretty good access to transportation so the lack of a scooter shouldn't be a problem if you like the rental near Evan's Bay. We always rent and have used www.bermudarentals.com and www.bermudagetaway.com plus a few others from various sources.

There will be children at The Reefs so Cambridge Beaches will be quieter. Nothing is really that isolated in Bermuda, it's a very small island. There are a couple of restaurants in walking distance of Cambridge Beaches and you can get the bus or taxi up to the Dockyard if you want to go on the ferry over to Hamilton or alternatively take the bus the whole way. Plenty of restaurants in the Dockyard too, and shopping, which is only ten minutes away in a taxi or on the bus.

Kent
reviews: 2
2. Re: 1st timer plans

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply. I found your advice very helpful. We have made our bookings now and decided on 3 nights in Hamilton at the royal palms from where we can explore Hamilton on day 1 and also visit st George on day 2. Then 3 nights at coco beach to experience the southern beaches. Finally 3 nights at Cambridge beaches for peace and quiet and a visit to the dockyard. We enjoy long mileage fly drive holidays in the states so are quite happy to change rooms and this way we won't need to hire a scooter. It also gives us chance to try different restaurants. Just hope it turns out as good as it sounds. Must say I'm looking forward to visit having read all the postings. Thanks again.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
3. Re: 1st timer plans

I hope that you have a lovely holiday. It sounds as though you have given it some thought and if you don't mind moving then you have chosen well.

We are here now, about a twenty minute walk from Cambridge Beaches. Just had an early dinner at the Salt Rock Grill which is one of the restaurants in walking distance of CB, that's assuming that you are used to walking some distance. You can also take a taxi of course. You may also be quite happy to stay at CB to eat, I believe the food is very good.

Edited: 7:22 pm, April 10, 2013
4. Re: 1st timer plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bermuda