We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eloping to bermuda

St. Johns...
eloping to bermuda

Hi

We just booked a trip to Bermuda for the first 2 weeks of June and have now decided we would like to elope down there. We already have acoomodations and stuff like that so a hotel eloers package doesnt make sense. We have contacted wedding places down there but the prices to get a planner to do a very basic ceremony for just the two of us and our 1 year old are insane. Does anyone have any ideas of how i can get this planned without going through the wedding planners or getting married in a court room lol?

USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: eloping to bermuda

***FIRST***....and foremost...you need to make certain that you will be in compliance with ALL of the requirements of Bermuda's MARRAIGE ACT of 1944. Bermuda ain't 'Vegas. There are legal '..hoops..' to jump through berfore you can '..jump the broom..' on a beach....and beginning NOW won't be too soon.

GETTING MARRIED in BERMUDA--

http://www.gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAndBrochures/SubContent/MARRIAGE_IN_BERMUDA_2013(2).pdf

NOTICE of MARRAIGE--

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/CommonContent/…

http://tinyurl.com/ao4hhla

For the rest, in the absence of NOT-so-minor details, it's difficult to provide useful information or suggestions.

What sort of wedding do you have in mind ??..."..at least when it comes to weddings, "..basic..' is a remarkably '..elastic..' term....in a church ??...outdoors ??..on a beach ??...do you want a photographer ??...flowers ??...horse & carriage ??...Which hotel or guest accommodations will you be staying at during your proposed visit ??...Have you contact the hotel's concierge for information and suggestions for an officiant for the ceremony ?? I'm not sure that just anyone with ministers 'certificate' printed out from a web site found on the internet is '..legal. in Bermuda..

St. Johns...
2. Re: eloping to bermuda

Thanks so much for the response!

Staying at greenbank, just looking for someone to marry us on the beach a boquet if flowers for the bride someone to take pictures for an hour or so. I will also have a toddler there so whatever that would entail as well. I read about the legalities of it all and have my bases covered in that regard

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
3. Re: eloping to bermuda

Why not speak to Cindy Ashton and see if she can help you. Very nice person.

USA
4. Re: eloping to bermuda

>>>...Why not speak to Cindy Ashton and see if she can help you. Very nice person....<<<

That's a **GREAT** suggestion !!

The Ashtons have been in the tourism/hospitality industry in Bermuda for decades. You won't be the first (nor the last) guest at Greenbank (or Granaway) that's wanted to get married in Bermuda.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 1
5. Re: eloping to bermuda

newfie19, not sure how you booked at Greenbank, but in case you don't know, Cindy and David Ashton run Greenbank and David's brother and his wife run Granaway, a lovely guesthouse not far away overlooking Harbour Road.

USA
6. Re: eloping to bermuda

For what it's worth......an acquaintance hosted her daughter's wedding in Bermuda a few years age (the family took over Granaway during the event). They used a local photographer, AMANDA TEMPLE-- http://amandatemple.com/ --and were very pleased and satisfied with her both professionally and personally.

I used to have (alas lost or misplaced in the sanitary landfill I laughingly call my '..Files..') the business card of a local taxi driver who also happened to be a licensed, ordained minister. He'd pick you up at your hotel, drive you to the beach of your choice and perform the ceremony (clerical stole over his 'Aloha' shirt), then drive you back to your hotel for the honeymoon....a tidy little package.

I've often wondered if there's a box that you check on the Dept. of Transport application when you apply for a licensed Taxi medallion.... '..Ordained Minister---$50 extra..'...'..Psychotherapist--$25 extra..'..)

Edited: 3:47 pm, March 15, 2013
USA
7. Re: eloping to bermuda

In an age of '..e-mail..'...'..e-commerce..', '..e-zines..'...'e-harmony..', '..e-dating..' (popular in South Bend, Indiana) et al....can one '..e-lope to Bermuda....' via the world wide web ?? It would certainly save all of that aggravation with excess luggage charges at airline check-in counters and time wasted queuing at airport security check-points....and get right to the '..hon-e-moon..' (okay, that's one stretch too far).

8. Re: eloping to bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 17, 2014