We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Marketplace" Grocery Store

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 28
"The Marketplace" Grocery Store

After paying resort prices for drinks and foods for about a day. The wife and I decided to do some grocery shopping. The grocery store is called "The Marketplace" something I didn't get until I was here. How to get there.

1. Get bus tokens from concierge ($2.50 each; get one for your return trip)

2. Take FSH trolley to Main road (tell driver you want to go to The Marketplace

3. Cross road to bus stop (it looks like concrete hut)

4. Ask bus driver to let you know when he has arrived to The Marketplace (about 2 stops down).

5. When coming back cross the road from The Marketplace to catch the return bus and ask driver to let you know when to get off for FSH.

Make sure to get water and soft drinks as they are much cheaper than at FSH. Many drink the tap water as it is drinkable but I can't chance it for a holiday. The prices in the marketplace are very reasonable. There is a Mr. Chicken fast food place but I didn't eat there. Anyone care to comment on Mr. Chicken?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: "The Marketplace" Grocery Store

Mr chicken has been around for decades and is typically very busy, so you can draw your own conclusions from that. My favorite is their homemade hamburgers and mac n cheese. They have two locations, heron bay plaza in Warwick and queen street in Hamilton.

USA
reviews: 3
2. Re: "The Marketplace" Grocery Store

>>>... Cross road to bus stop (it looks like concrete hut).....When coming back cross the road....to catch the return bus...<<<

For what it's worth Bermuda's bus stops are all marked to alert you to the '..relative direction..' of the routes...relative to the main Bus Terminal in downtown Hamilton. (#6--Saint George's-Saint David's relative to Saint George's the exception)

--Bus stops designated with '..BLUE..' poles (approx. 4" dia.) are OUTBOUND / heading AWAY from HAMILTON......

--Bus stops designated with '..PINK..' poles are INBOUND / heading TOWARD downtown HAMILTON.

SOME public bus stops have '..shelters..' (most usually constructed of native limestone blocks....but MOST bus stops are simply designated by a plain BLUE or PINK pole (approx. 4" dia.) with or without '..BUS..' signage. So an intermediate bus stop along a route may only be a simple BLUE or PINK pole, sticking up against the surrounding foliage or a stone wall...and may be easy to miss or mistake if ya' don't know what to look for.

One of the not-so-minor details of Bermuda is that vehicular traffic runs on the Left / 'wrong' side of the road. When crossing streets or roads in Bermuda you really need to look in BOTH directions before stepping out to cross (mom was right...whodda' guessed??). The '..natural..' tendency for most visitors is to look to the 'right' / 'wrong' direction for oncoming traffic in Bermuda. Bermudian drivers are used to the boneheaded mistakes that visitors make and tend to keep a pretty good look-out to avoid very expensive auto body repairs....but don't bet a really exciting ambulance ride to the ER on it.....LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 28
3. Re: "The Marketplace" Grocery Store

Good point KDKSAIL, I guess I've been to London too many times where that's the case of looking the opposite direction for traffic! Plus it says that on the roads in central London!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
4. Re: "The Marketplace" Grocery Store

I often think that Bermuda could follow London's example on the Underground and paint "Mind the Gap" on the Pink ferry route docks.

5. Re: "The Marketplace" Grocery Store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 15, 2014