We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
Air Canada

Air Canada is cutting back its flights from Toronto to Bermuda. Starting in May there will be three flights a week down from the current five. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. A Tuesday flight will be added starting June 27th for the summer and the schedule will revert to three flights starting in September.

There were lots of empty seats on the flights I took in November but I assume that will end with fewer flights, unfortunately for me, but perhaps good for the airline.

We got very good sale prices when I booked for April, but I see that we could have saved another $40 on the two total fares if I had waited a little longer. Ah well!!

USA
1. Re: Air Canada

Certainly inconvenient for Canadians heading to Bermuda...and probably more expensive, as you noted. With the declining numbers of air arrivals to Bermuda, direct 'gateway' air service has been cut back all 'round. Some US 'gateway' cities with twice-daily service are down to once-daily flights...some 'gateway' cities with once daily flights are down to '..seasonal..' daily service and 'connecting' service the rest of the year.

But in some ways, I can understand the need for Air Canada to reduce costs. The near constant expense of clearing snow drifts, ice floes and herds of migrating caribou, elk and moose from airport runways from September through July must be staggering.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
2. Re: Air Canada

It certainly was a very expensive day yesterday at the airport with all the snow we had. Hope the migrating animals found shelter!! They would have had to fight for it with all the passengers whose flights were cancelled. Lovely sunshine this morning, my panoramic view of Lake Ontario, and even the CN Tower, is back. The Lake looks almost as blue as the sea in Bermuda. Well, if you squint!! Roll on April!!

Edited: 12:13 pm, February 09, 2013
Toronto
3. Re: Air Canada

I suspect that the real reason for the reduced number of flights has been the success of WestJet which has been flying daily to Bermuda and no doubt diverting many of their customers. In effect WestJet ended Air Canada's monopoly.

I must say as a Canadian that I find KDKSail's frequent jokes at the expense of Canadians and Canadian weather to be a bit tiresome and not even particularly funny.

USA
4. Re: Air Canada

>>>..I must say as a Canadian that I find KDKSail's frequent jokes at the expense of Canadians and Canadian weather to be a bit tiresome and not even particularly funny...<<<

I come by my sense of Canadian humor honestly...from CANADIAN parents and grandparents (one a survivor of Vimy Ridge), who emigrated below the 49th to escape year-round winter sports, roast caribou and the potential of polar bear attacks. They were proud of their Canadian heritage (New Brunswick, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta and a brief stint in the Yukon Territory) BUT...managed to find the humor in what was often a hard life, under harsh conditions.

When the August thaw come...perhaps you'll get over it......or not.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
5. Re: Air Canada

Oh, come on BillonSafari where's your sense of humour? We Canadians, especially those of us who were former Brits, are secure in the knowledge of how superior we are!! We can take all the ribbing we get, it's like water off a duck's back!!!

WestJet is certainly competition for Air Canada but I don't think they fly every day year round.

Edited: 2:59 pm, February 10, 2013
USA
6. Re: Air Canada

>>>...it's like water off a duck's back!!!...<<<

Are ya' sure that's not ice off a loon's back ??

Toronto
7. Re: Air Canada

I do have a sense of humor and enjoy a good joke - although KDK SAIL seems to retread the same tired old cliches every time.

USA
8. Re: Air Canada

Ya' can amuse some of the Canadians all of the time.....all of the Canadians some of the time...and alas....BillOnSafari....NOT at all......

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Air Canada

Westjet's initial "DAILY" service dwindled to 3/week soon after introduction...there simply was never a demand for that many seats to/from Canada. The Bermuda Government wooed Westjet there with guaranteed subsidies, should the passenger loads not materialize. They have not.

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 11, 2013
USA
10. Re: Air Canada

Even in the face of declining Tourism air traffic to Bermuda, most airlines hung onto once and twice daily service to serve a greater number of Business traffic. Unfortunately, given cost-cutting international business and finance measures (as well as VIP and other technologies)...this higher revenue/profit market segment has decreased as well over the past few years.