We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Crime

Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
Recent Crime

I traveled to Bermuda in August of 2011 and it was my absolute favorite destination that I have ever been to. We stayed at the Fairmont Hamilton and I loved being able to come and go anywhere on the island. The people were so incredibly friendly and it was just an all around delight. We rented mopeds and had a blast going from beach to beach and downtown Hamilton was a great spot for nightlife too. I was interested in coming back this time and renting a house for 6 people from www.vrbo.com or www.bermudarentals.com. I have mentioned the idea to other people and I have heard that the crime has gotten worse in the last couple years. Is this true? Is Bermuda still a safe place and would it be safe to rent a house and stay there as a tourist without worrying about being robbed? I did search google for the crime rate in Bermuda and www.crimestoppers.bm does not paint a pretty picture and it has me second guessing my choice to come back. Can someone please let me know?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
1. Re: Recent Crime

Nobody can guarantee that you will always be safe wherever you go on this Earth. We have never felt unsafe in Bermuda and will be there for three weeks soon. I travel there on my own in addition to our vacation as a couple.

We always rent and have stayed in many different areas without any problems.

Much of the serious crime, including the use of guns, seems to be confined to disputes between rival "gangs". There was an incident a few days ago close to where we stay but it did not spill over to involve tourists or other innocent residents. There are break- ins to houses as I'm sure that there are in Philadelphia and other parts of the U.S. so it's possible to have that happen where you plan to rent.

You might want to ask the owners/agents of the rental about security and then I'm afraid that as with going anywhere you take your chances. Pay attention to your surroundings.

I would guess that the crime rate per capita is much higher where you live than it is in Bermuda. I'm sure that we would get reports on here if crime has become a serious issue for tourists.

In the end it's your decision and you must make an informed choice.

Edited: 2:20 pm, February 01, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
reviews: 11
2. Re: Recent Crime

We returned from our third trip in October and just booked our fourth trip for April. I feel very safe in Bermuda and would not hesitate to return or recommend it to anyone. As with any place you need to be aware of your surroundings and not completely throw caution to the wind. I'm sure you'll find it just as enjoyable as you did in 2011.

USA
reviews: 3
3. Re: Recent Crime

Unfortunately for the residents of Bermuda....violent crime and crimes of violence by Bermudians (??) against other Bermudians (??) has indeed increased over the past several years. This is a great concern to local authorities, residents, families and friends..BUT...these violent crimes have been overwhelmingly limited to traditional groups/gangs and areas/turfs. '..settling..' of new and old grievances, real or imagined. Thoiugh this increase in violent crime is a legitimate concern to visitors/tourists...fortunately it does not involve or materially effect visitors/tourists. In other respects, most other categories of crime in Bermuda have been on the decrease over the past few years.

The areas/turfs and situations where these violent crimes have been occurring are amongst local residents and in areas where tourists/visitors seldom travel (i.e. 'back-of-town' in Hamilton, late at night)....unless they're looking for trouble.

In spite of this unfortunate increase in violent crime, Bermuda is STILL a remarkably SAFE, friendly, hospitable and '..comfortable..' destination for visitors/tourists. Burglaries from unlocked, open door/window, guest accommodations still occur...as they did 10, 15. 20, 25 years ago. You can't '..leave you brain at the beach..'. You still must take reasonable, COMMON SENSE precautions.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: Recent Crime

Are there any areas you would reccommend staying away from as far as renting homes? Are there any areas you would reccommend? I would assume any owner I ask about the safety of the home would tell me it is safe in order to make the deal. Or would you reccommend staying at a hotel and staying away from renting homes? I thought it would be more fun to rent a home and have a kitchen and grill to cook with, so that we do not have to go out to dinner every night. Maybe even go fishing and cook the fish that night. I am from the Philadelphia suburbs and do not live in the city, so I am not close to any gangs that I am aware of.

Edited: 2:50 pm, February 01, 2013
USA
reviews: 3
5. Re: Recent Crime

>>>...Are there any areas you would reccommend staying away from as far as renting homes?...<<<

All of the vacation rental properties, most that I've seen or know of are located in safe enough neighborhoods.

It would be a GROSS OVERREACTION to mistake a simple acknowledgment that a particular category of crime (violent crime) has increased in Bermuda as any sort of '..alarm..'. For all intent and purpose, you will actually be and 'feel'' much SAFER (by several degrees of magnitude) in Bermuda, at almost any time of day or night...than you would be crossing the parking lot of your local shopping mall at noon on a sunny Saturday at home.

Frankly...if you must worry about something...then worry about crossing the street or road. vehicular traffic comes from the '..wrong..' direction in Bermuda...and your natural tendency and experience will be to '..look the wrong way..' before crossing. Mom was right. Always look BOTH ways when crossing the street in Bermuda.

Edited: 4:30 pm, February 01, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
6. Re: Recent Crime

You may live in the suburbs, Dave, and maybe there are no gangs but Iwould be very surprised if your area were crime free.

As I said, no guarantees but we have rented in many different parts of the island, both as a couple and I have gone on my own, without any problems. I was there on my own in November, part of the time in a rented house in St George's and the rest in a guest house, which consists of separate cottages, on Hamilton Harbour. No concerns.

Many of the rentals form part of the owner's property so you are not entirely alone although separate. Maybe you would feel better renting one of these rather than a stand alone house. Perhaps ask if anyone else will be living on the property when you are there. If you give us some idea of the rentals you are interested in perhaps we can comment.

Edited: 7:20 pm, February 01, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 45
7. Re: Recent Crime

I think you should go to Jamaica and rent a moped and see the sights.

reviews: 24
8. Re: Recent Crime

I have always felt safe and welcomed in Bermuda. Seriously, you will be absolutely fine on the island. Of course, you need to lock your door when you leave and not leave any windows open but that is something you would be careful of anywhere. The people of Bermuda are so lovely and love to chat. You will love the island. So forget about anything that you read and just take those normal precautions that you would anywhere and that includes your own neighborhood. Just go!

New Jersey
reviews: 28
9. Re: Recent Crime

Bermuda is a pretty safe island but you still need to exercise caution, just as you would at home and everywhere else. Nothing has ever happened to us and we have always felt safe but like anywhere in the world, crime does occur. I mean, the Rebecca Middleton case was years ago, but it's proof that violent crimes can occur anywhere.

NYC
reviews: 5
10. Re: Recent Crime

I've been to Bermuda 6 times and I've experienced a little more unfriendliness here & there. For example, we rode our scooters to Spanish Point Park in the daytime and felt very unwelcome there. Same thing with the little park by Hamilton Harbor in the evening. Some local threw a lighter at my feet. Pissed me off! Had an a-hole driver tailgate me (rental scooters don't go very fast) and i pulled over as soon as I could.

But we keep coming back + stick to the places we know & love. You'll be fine and renting a house with 6 friends sounds divine - get a pool!