We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The demise of sea glass hunting?

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 2
The demise of sea glass hunting?

There is a posting today on Cruise Critic stating there are signs posted now at the beach by Naval Dockyard stating it is 'owned by Welco and the taking of any sea glass is prohibited and persons will be prosecuted'? Is this true? Is this legal? Our trip next May was in large part to be able to hunt for sea glass...which we have done throughout the past 5 years in different Caribbean islands. Please tell me this is NOT SO!

34 replies to this topic
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 25
21. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

the beach isn't closed and you don't have to cross private property to access it and there is no construction in the immediate area! where do you guys get this stuff?

North Carolina
reviews: 76
22. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Good to know...thanks for the update

USA
reviews: 3
23. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Can you access this beach by simply walking across private property (Yup...the Albert's Row Apartments property was 'owned' by WEDCO last time I checked and for all intent and purpose is indeed '..private property) ??.....Probably...but you've absolutely no RIGHT to do so and can be refused access or if you do gain access, may be required to leave at any time. However you choose to term '..sea glass..'--'trash' or 'treasure'--it's still the "..property.." of the owner.. I suppose that 'sea glass' collectors could claim that they're simply collecting '..trash..' and providing an environmental public service..but in the absence of plastic water bottles, cigarette butts, old pool floats, and assorted other flotsam that washes ashore, they'd be hard pressed to prove that they were providing any sort of public service, environmental '..clean up..' .....and the fact that they're very selective about the 'trash' that they do 'clean-up' makes their case even more difficult to prove.

So, go ahead (you're gonna' do it no matter what's said here). Be discrete. You'll probably '..get away with it..' ...

North Carolina
reviews: 76
24. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I hope that no matter how interested visitors are in the sea glass; we could all be respectful of the situation and the residents who live here. If someone were tromping through my backyard, it would be very unsettling and I'm sure I would seek to get it stopped via the authorities. Bermuda is one of the most beautiful places on this earth and Bermudians are likewise gentle, hospitable and gracious people. The golden rule seems appropriate.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 25
25. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

yup, the buildings are considered private property and yes, technically you would be trespassing if you crossed the line but you have the option of using the PUBLIC ROAD that goes straight past the beach to gain access to it.

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 22
26. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Wow, you would think that the locals would be happy that you are picking up what is essentially trash.

USA
reviews: 2
27. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

As a visitor to any location I would never NOT say "good day" and "may I" ?..... should a local be present. I can even try it in Spanish. I have done it in French (not so understandable but hey, I tried...LOL...). I have done that no matter whether around the corner or a far away Island, no matter WHAT the situation. Sea glass aside...manners have no global boundaries.... at least that is what my Mother taught me...God rest her soul. Has nothing to do with government rules, laws or decrees.....now does it?

Guilford...
28. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

i would love to hear about the other little beach besides dockyard and alexandra's. heading there next week

Guilford...
29. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

i would love to hear about the other little beach that you know of. heading down next week. glad I heard about dockyard beach ahead of time. not going. respecting the rules. probably would have burst into tears from the shock of seeing the sign!

USA
reviews: 3
30. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

The '..other sea glass beach..' is out in Saint George's, on the eastern shore, next to the old ALEXANDRA BATTERY fortification (Buildings Bay), on Barry Road, near Floral Lane (Grid Ref: R-2 on the BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn… ). It's accessible from Saint George's on foot from the Square in downtown Saint George's by walking east (to your left as you face the harbor) out on Water St..to Cut Road around the harbour, then turning onto Floral Lane to Barry Road (approx. 3/4 mi.).

Reply to: The demise of sea glass hunting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted