We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The demise of sea glass hunting?

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 4
The demise of sea glass hunting?

There is a posting today on Cruise Critic stating there are signs posted now at the beach by Naval Dockyard stating it is 'owned by Welco and the taking of any sea glass is prohibited and persons will be prosecuted'? Is this true? Is this legal? Our trip next May was in large part to be able to hunt for sea glass...which we have done throughout the past 5 years in different Caribbean islands. Please tell me this is NOT SO!

39 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Sorry...haven't seen the signs but....it's entirely possible. WEDCO (West End Development Corp) which owns or controls most of the area is in the process of redeveloping (eventual demolition and new construction) its residential housing--Victoria Row Apartments and Albert's Row Apartments--out on Ireland Island. The project was put out to bid in September.The west-end '..sea glass beach..' is located immediately behind and part of the Albert's Row apartment property. One can certainly imagine that neither WEDCO nor the contractors redeveloping the property will want tourists wandering about collecting souvenirs on an active '..construction site..'.

"..Wedco puts Ireland Island housing project out to tender..." Royal Gazette, 09/01/2012--

royalgazette.com/article/…709019956

Though not as good a collection site as the west end's; the little beach out at Bermuda's east-end, next to and below the Alexandria Battery is still available for sea glass collecting..

Edited: 10:36 pm, October 15, 2012
USA
2. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

....and this piece , from a sea glass enthusiats web site---

seaglassjournal.com/vacations/bermuda/bermud…

USA
3. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

My understanding is that the water line of any beach is usually considered public property...no? So sorry I have paid my non refundable deposit for May!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
4. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I'm sure that you are disappointed that you may not be able to go the seaglass beach. However I can assure you that Bermuda is well worth a visit for many other reasons. I hope that if you decide to go anyway that you will have a very enjoyable holiday. I'm sure that you already have quite a collection so maybe you can take the opportunity to have a different kind of vacation. As my mother used to say, "A change is as good as a rest."

USA
5. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

>>>...My understanding is that the water line of any beach is usually considered public property...no?...<<<

Nothing wrong with your understanding. There's just the not-so-minor detail of TRESPASSING across what is essentially posted PRIVATE PROPERTY, without right-of-way, to get to that waterline that creates problems. If you approach it from seaward, you're okay.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
6. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

It would be interesting to know whether in fact WEDCO can stop all access to the beach. The fact that they have put up a sign doesn't necessarily mean that they can. Hope we get some further information, perhaps from one of the locals.

In the meantime, it should be said that people taking buckets filled with glass are partially responsible for this attempted ban. Maybe the residents of this area are getting a bit fed up with all the "traffic" in and around their properties.

I have the feeling that like other fashionable things to collect, this one will eventually run its course and the problem will solve itself.

USA
7. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

>>>...t would be interesting to know whether in fact WEDCO can stop all access to the beach. The fact that they have put up a sign doesn't necessarily mean that they can. Hope we get some further information, perhaps from one of the locals....<<<

Think about it for a moment. WEDCO is a semi-autonomous non-governmental organization (a '..quango..' established by an Act of Parliment--West End Development Corporation Act 1982) established to manage and develop the old Royal Navy and Canadian Forces military base lands returned to Bermuda's direct control. For all intent and purpose, WEDCO '..owns..' the land and may allow, restrict or prohibit access to it.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
8. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I don't think that sign was posted by wedco. I took a picture of out and emailed it to their office asking if it is indeed their order. The sign says the beach is open to the public but it's illegal to collect the "natural" sea glass. No such thing as natural sea glass, the word for it is trash and there is no law against picking up trash off of any beach. I'll let you know what wedco's reply is asap.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
9. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Thanks Sonny, I hoped that you would reply. The OP will be staying on the boat that's for rent in the Dockyard, chosen because of the proximity to the beach in question, so obviously will be very disappointed if she can't access the beach.

USA
10. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

aThank you, especially to Sonny for looking into this, and all those who responded. Yes, we are in fact reserved for 10 days at the house boat, Royal Naval dockyard for access to this beach. My most enjoyable place to be...EVER...is on a beach with Seaglass...listening to the sound of Seaglass tinkling with the waves, the beauty of Seaglass sparkling in the sun, the feel of smooth time weathered Seaglass in the hand. I recognize there are many other things Bermudian but to me this experience is indescribably unique. It saddens me to see or hear of buckets of sea glass being removed ANYwhere. In Curacao there is an expat who blogs daily about life there and when contacted for directions to "his" sea glass beach....a public beach he goes to each and every day with a COOLER to remove sea glass and send back to the states... he requested $100. He blogs his goal is to collect "1,000 pounds to send back to the states in a container vessel". Last winter I was able to find that beach on my own and he in fact appeared ...identified by his cooler! Most Seaglassers have an unwritten rule...take what you "need" and leave the rest for others. A few "mermaids tears" to remember the sights, sounds and emotions when one can no longer sit on that beach is all that is needed.

Reply to: The demise of sea glass hunting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted