We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code

Naugatuck...
Dress code

My soon to be wife and I will be staying at the reefs for our honeymoon. We just received a welcome email and I read something about a dress code. Is this just for dining there?

Generally on an island vacation I wear a t shirt, shorts and flip flops all of which they said are not permitted on the resort?

If it is just fir dining can anyone suggest some low key places to get dinner where there may not be such a strict dress code.

Thanks in advance for any help

Whitestone, NY
reviews: 96
1. Re: Dress code

There are many...the Swizzler Inn across from Horseshoe bay beach, The Pickled Onion in Hamilton, Flannagans in Hamilton, Rusticos in Flatts Village. Only the fine dining restaurants like four Ways Inn, Baracuda grill, Little Venice you need to dress smart casual.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
2. Re: Dress code

A pair of kaki's and a nice polo shirt will be fine to wear for dinners in the nicest of restaurants (including dining rooms at The Reefs...Coconuts, etc) so be sure to pack these for yourself. (Can never go wrong with a sport coat either) You'll definitely want to enjoy a couple of nice dinners out somewhere while in Bermuda - after all, it is your honeymoon! The rest of the time, at the more casual places, shorts & t-shirts are acceptable.

USA
reviews: 3
3. Re: Dress code

>>>.... I read something about a dress code. Is this just for dining there?

Generally on an island vacation I wear a t shirt, shorts and flip flops all of which they said are not permitted on the resort?...<<<

Not sure what you read (or what you thought you read) in the e-mail but what '..dress code..' there is at The Reefs applies to dress for evening dining in the on-premises restaurants. What '..dress code..' there is at the Reefs is no more '..formal..' or onerous than '..Smart Casual..', which these days translates into long pants/slacks (traditional Bermuda shorts with knee socks will also be quite appropriate) and a collared shirt (dress or polo) and shoes (trainers or dress) for gentlemen for dinner service in the restaurants. The restaurants at The Reefs--Royston's, Ocean Echo, Coconuts--are decidely 'better' dining rooms for dinner.

For breakfasts, lunches and Afternoon Tea service, shorts, tee shirts/tank tops and flip-flops will be prefectly appropriate attire at The Reefs.

If your normal attire for dinners at restaurants is tee shirts/tank tops, shorts and flip-flops, then The SWIZZLE INN-South Shore pub-- http://www.swizzleinn.com/ --TIO PEPE'S-- http://www.tiopepebda.com/ --or the PARAQUET Restaurant-- http://www.bermudayp.com/dining/view/47:32371 --located a few minutes to the east (to your left as you face the ocean) along main the South Road, will probably suit this more casual attire best....as it does McDonald's, White Castle, IHOP, Applebees, Denny's, , et al in the US.

"...Dress Code--The evening dress code at The Reefs is smart casual for all ages (collared shirts and slacks). Jackets are preferred but not required for dining in Royston’s. Inappropriate attire includes blue jeans, t-shirts, baseball caps, sneakers and flip flops..."

http://thereefs.com/dining/index.shtml

Edited: 11:34 am, September 10, 2012
Weston
reviews: 50
4. Re: Dress code

My sister works at the Swizzle Inn - it is a fun (at times crazy) place! My brother in law is a taxi driver if you need a cab for anything. Bermuda overall is another world. Congratulations! And have a great time!

Pembroke
5. Re: Dress code

Just FYI- men don't need to wear knee socks with their shorts. Personally I haven't worn them since I was forced to at school many years ago. You can look quite smart in shorts without them provided you have the right shorts, shoes, and shirt. That being said, nearly all restaurants would not be opposed to more casual attire, provided you don't have swimsuits and sand from the beach. (before you laugh, I've seen tourists storming out of a nice restaurant when they were refused service in their beach clothes, leaving behind a trail of sand. Some people have no class or common sense!)

In the 'pub' type of restaurant as mentioned above, you can get away with t-shirts, flip-flops, etc. Very casual. In some of the slightly more formal restaurants, it's sensible to wear clothes more appropriate for the environment and you should be able to sense that as soon as you approach the door and see how others are dressed. With today's fashions, there are designer t-shirts that can be considered appropriate in such settings, so it's hard to say exactly what is acceptable. Just use your common sense and you'll be OK.

Edited: 4:58 pm, September 10, 2012
USA
6. Re: Dress code

>>>...With today's fashions, there are designer t-shirts that can be considered appropriate in such settings... it's hard to say exactly what is acceptable<<<

There's nothing "hard to understand", when a published dress code specifically prohibits '..tee shirts..' or requires '..collared shirts..', you're taking the gamble that whatever you might consider a "..designer..' tee shirt...is still just a '..tee shirt..' for purposes of the dress code...and be turned away and asked to return PROPERLY dressed.

Pembroke
7. Re: Dress code

Perhaps you hear t-shirt and assume an 'i love NY' t-shirt. perhaps not.

in any case, you're right- if they're strict that 'no collar, no service' then you'd be out of luck. however in my many experiences dining out in bermuda- a couple of times a week for all my adult life- and my years in the hospitality industry here, i can assure you that if you look presentable, you will have no issue whatsoever.

sure you can follow the rule to a 't' (pun intended) and stay safe with a collared shirt. that's your best bet if you have a super casual wardrobe. i'm just saying that i eat out with people who wear shirts without a collar and it's never been an issue- at the vast majority of restaurants. unless of course it's a true 't-shirt' in the sense that it is far too casual for a decent restaurant.

USA
8. Re: Dress code

>>>...Perhaps you hear t-shirt and assume an 'i love NY' t-shirt. perhaps not...<<<

Nope...I hear '..no tee shirts..' and I simply assume '..tee shirts...period. One person's '..designer..' tee shirt is just as easily another's '..tee shirt with a logo..'...whether that logo be '..I (heart) NY..' or '..Go, Manchester United..' in 100% cotton or interlocking '..C's..' on for Coco Chanel or '..LV's..' for the luggage in silk. A tee-shirt is a tee-shirt.

Edited: 11:07 pm, September 10, 2012
Washington DC...
reviews: 230
9. Re: Dress code

We just finished packing for our visit...including a pair of maryjane flats for me and loafers for him due to the closed-toe shoe requirement for men and women at the dine around places. I think closed toe for women is a bit much.

USA
10. Re: Dress code

>>>....including a pair of maryjane flats for me and loafers for him due to the closed-toe shoe requirement for men and women at the dine around places. I think closed toe for women is a bit much....<<<

There is ***NO*** "..closed-toe shoe requirement for men and women.." at ANY of Bermuda's restaurants...on the 'Dine Around' program or any other program dres code. '..No flip-flops..' is NOT the same thing as open-toed sandals for men or shoes for women....so I'm not quite sure how you got from '..no flip-flops..' this ??