We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Flag Taxi Tours

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
Blue Flag Taxi Tours

I have previously read that Blue Flag taxi tours are a great way to sightsee the island. How do I find a Blue Flag taxi - where do I arrange a tour like this? What are the costs, how long is the trip, etc? Please help and provide specific names of drivers or links so that I may arrange for 4 seniors who love Bermuda! All info appreciated.

27 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

There are a lot of BLUE FLAG taxi tour guides operating in Bermuda. They are identified by a BLUE FLAG decal, medalion or flag on their taxis. A lot of taxi drivers offer private taxi tours, but BLUE FLAG taxi tour guides have taken the time and gone to the trouble to go through the certification process. You an check the local taxi ranks for Blue Flag certified drivers or you can ask at one of the VISITORS INFORMATION desks--downtown Hamilton (next to the main ferry terminal--Allison Outerbridge; Dockyard inside the 'gazebo' Gift Shop; Saint George's in the Globe Hotel at York St & the Square.

The rates for these private taxi tours is fixed at:

$40.00 per hour for 1-4 passengers

$50.50 per hour for 5-6 passengers

There is a three(3) hour minimum...most tours will run three(3)-to-four(4) hours...but tours may run as long as you like. No tip is included within the rate for the driver.

BLUE FLAG taxi tour guides are all very knowledgeable about all things BERMUDA but most can '..customize..' their tours to accommodate your own particular interests--i.e. art & architecture, flora & fauna, general & military history, parks & gardens, etc.--which is one of the prime attractions of these private tours. In addition to this, prtetty much all of 'em have a ready supply of local anecdotes, local lore, un-published 'history', bits of local goings-on, gossip and '..dirt..'. When you compare the price of a private BLUE FLAG taxi tour to most of the other tours, excursions, activities, the BLUE FLAG taxi tours begin to become quite reasonable and if you 'split' the fixed-hourly rate among three or four people, they become one helluva' bargain...one of the best in Bermuda.

Edited: 3:51 pm, June 21, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

I was wondering about the taxi tours. During a 3 hour rental period are they generally willing to wait if you'd like to get out and for example climb to the top of the Gibbs Lighthouse or get out for 10-15 minutes and walk down to the water at a beach?

USA
3. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

YES....you've rented the taxi for at least the three(3) hour minimum or longer...as you please. Though I doubt that the driver will want to wait at the curb outside of the Bank of Bermuda while you don ski masks to go in to make a '..withdrawal..',....just about everything else is okay.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
4. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

Perhaps people who have used a Blue Flag taxi can comment on how they deal with stopping for a meal or other refreshments. Do they invite the driver to join them? Pay for his/her meal? If you are taking a four hour tour it seems reasonable to want something to eat at some point. Do people take drinks and sandwiches with them?

USA
5. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

On the occasions that we've taken these tours, we've invited the driver to join us for lunch...and of couse since we're the ones offering the invitation, there's absolutely no question that we pick up the check. Though we've never done it, we've known other family and friends who've packed picnic lunches.

PS..time spent at lunch still count as '..billable hours..' even if the driver is your guest at lunch.

New York City, New...
reviews: 37
6. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

Taxi tours are a pretty good way to see Bermuda. It can actually work out to be cheaper than doing the fixed-route tours on the big government metro busses that the cruise ships push for the outrageous price of $79 a person (because they get a sales commission.) A taxi holds up to 6 people.

The quality of the drivers varies greatly, but they can all do the basics of getting you to the places you should be going. All taxi drivers are native Bermudian, so odds are they have spent 60 years on the island and are driving past their home, their favorite restaurant, and their favorite hidden cove where they played as a kid. Just ask. I once had a driver who worked on the railroad, which closed in 1948!

Yes, if you start at 10am and get done at 2pm, that's four hours, even if you spent some portion at the lighthouse, getting lunch, swimming at the beach, etc. They will happily wait. Ultimately it's all negotiable. Just remember that gas on the island is $9 a gallon and a taxi medallion costs $100K, so cabbies are not getting rich. Quite the opposite right now. Business is really down and many drivers are hurting badly.

USA
7. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

>>>....The quality of the drivers varies greatly....<<<

Though there are any number of very pleasant taxi drivers in Bermuda who offer tours...the primary reason why BLUE FLAG Ambassador taxi tour guides are so frequently recommended here (as well as many other resources) is that these independent taxi drivers have taken the time and made the effort to go through a government testing/ certification process. Over the decades, we (as well as numerous family, friends and acquaintances) have take taxi tours with BLUE FLAG certified txi tour guides. We've never been disappointed by one.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
8. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

Our concierge from the hotel arranged one of the Blue Flag tours in late Sept for 3 people and it was absolutely delightful. Cost=$40 p/hr and then you add the 17.5% tip. We had one of the most delightful and informative gentlemen on the island to guide us, so the experience was absolutely priceless. We made an untold amount of photo stops all across the island from Tucker Town down the south shore, and back again all the way up to St. Georges. Don't think we missed a thing, and although we did not stop for lunch, we did stop for ice cream and sodas while in the Botanical Gardens, and of course included our guide. I have this gentleman's card, If anyone is interested further, just drop me a message.

Richmond, Virginia
9. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

I am taking my parents there in May for their 50th wedding anniversary - I would love to get his info

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
10. Re: Blue Flag Taxi Tours

Maybe send ziplady a message in case she doesn't see your post. Click on her name and you will be able to access the 'send message.'

Reply to: Blue Flag Taxi Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted