We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

New Hampshire
reviews: 10
raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

I know I'm going to love Bermuda. Everyone loves it and it sounds so wonderful. I can't wait to get there.

Unfortunately, I was checking on the ocean water quality and found out that Bermuda does not have any sewage treatment plants and in fact, dumps it's untreated sewage in the ocean near the island. They seem to justify it because it's beyond the reefs. What really horrified me was they dump hospital material also from King Edward VII Memorial Hospital including x-rays, etc. They also have the airport dump which dumps 700 truckloads of cars, appliances, tires, PVC pipes, refrigerators, etc. into this dump which goes into the ocean and certainly seeps into it. This is near Castle Harbor)

What gives with paradise? They stated no one on the island wants a sewage treatment plant near them??? Should the visitors be made aware of this and try to do something about it? Are Bermudians ever concerned about this?

Is there any movement to build a sewage plant?

any thoughts?

USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

Yes...I've thoughts on this. The discharge pipe for the raw sewage runs approx. 3/4-1 mile offshore at the 100 fathom line..in an area of known currents which tend to carry the effluent out into the Atlantic. As for hospital waste, most of this is burned in the island's incinerator and then the ash goes into a landfill. Cars and large appliances have been dumped out at and around the airport for decades---after being emptied of most toxic waste materials--- and form part of the landfill that has been covered and used to create now ground for the airport runways and service areas. No system is perfect...and Bermudians have been aware of this for generations and take precautions to insure that their '..home..' is NOT polluted. In so far as 'paradise' is concerned, everyone mentioons the apple...but no one mentions what happenned to the core. Does this make Eden less idylic??

New Hampshire
2. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

Thanks for the infomation. I'm definitely not trying to start trouble. I don't want Bermuda to turn into the "mess" that we've created in other countries. Bermuda sounds too beautiful to ruin.

It's a sad day when we have to check the water quality (in the ocean) before we go to a beach. I was just checking like I always do and became very concerned when I read the report.

It won't deter me from traveling to Bermuda and enjoying the beauty of it. It's a wonderful place with wonderful people.

We all need to be concerned about protecting our oceans and air. I do hope that Bermuda gets a water treatment facility.

New Hampshire
3. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

This is a question for KDKSAIL or any other expert in Bermuda. Since sewer dumping is done beyond the reef, do they check the water quality for the major beaches like we do in the USA? If a storm were to hit, wouldn't the sewerage be pushed towards shore? I would hope they did testing to ensure the safety of all people.

Thanks.

USA
4. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

Frankly, I'm not sure that they do general water quality testing all 'round the island, but I know that they do in the immediate vicinity of the discharge area--Hungry Bay on the south shore. As mentioned, the discharge pipe runs well offshore to the 100 fathom (600 feet) line. Also bear in mind that Bermuda has a resident population of only 60-odd thousand (about the size of a relatively small 3rd Class city in the US---and though when someone mentions raw sewage being discharged, one may get the immage of brown sludg pouring into a local creek or stream, The potential volume of the discharge area on Bermuda is HUGE. In addition to this, discharge is monitored for tide and current.

Having said this, there have been reports, that under certain conditions some of the 'greasier' organic discharge does occasionally wash back on shore. This doesn't happen very often...and usually when it does, by the turm of the tide, it is usually washed back out to sea again. I suppose that given all of the variables involved, almost any swimming pool would be a cess-pit compared to the ocean waters off of Bermuda.

These tend to be highly '..sensational...' discussions. It's a bit like citing the 500-osr so murders in NYC each year. Most certainly some people do become 'victims' (and this is tragic)----but no one ever seems to bother with the other side of the 'statistic' or mention that perhaps 15-20 million people live, work or pass through the same city every day (perhaps 75 tp 100 million different people within the span of a year)..to whom nothing happens.

New Hampshire
5. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

Thanks for being so honest. I really appreciate that. I can't wait to visit Bermuda. Do you live there? I'm impressed with your answer. You didn't cover up anything but put some things into perspective.

Is Bermuda going to get a sewer facility plant do you think? Would it be something visitors should push for? Do Bermudians want it however, not in their back yard? Just curious if this is ever an issue in this lovely island.

All things said, I will avoid the south beaches and head north. Thanks again for all your wonderful help. You truly are an asset to this forum. Thanks.

USA
6. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

>>>All things said, I will avoid the south beaches and head north<<<

If you do then you'd be a dam fool. You obviously didn't get it. There is NO real pollution along Bermuda's south shore beaches. What relatively little sewage there is, is pumped almost a MILE offshore, from a discharge pipe nearly 100 fathoms (600 feet) down, into prevailing ocean currents which carry it farther east and south AWAY from Bermuda and out into the VAST Atlantic Ocean The waters off of Bermuda's south shore beaches are probaly cleaner and more 'sanitary' than your own bathwater at home.

New Hampshire
7. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

Hey - don't get mad. I'm only stating facts. Sewage outfall pipes are in plain view at the eastern end of Elbow Beach. This is a fact - not an opinion. I've never swam anywhere in plain view of sewage pipes. It just leaves me "unsettled". Maybe I'm a food but I would feel better if I could be assured the water was checked along the beaches for added safety measures.

With all this said, I'm not dishing Bermuda. Bermuda is beautiful, kind, wonderful and hopefully will some day have a sewage treatment facility.

NH
8. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

waterville - where do you get the info about sewage pipes in view at Elbow Beach? I'm interested in this discussion. Been to Bermuda a few times/extended family has home there. Its beautiful and the beaches are pristine! Never thought about water quality, but since you mentioned it ..... where do you find this info??? I certainly can grasp the feeling of the local population NOT wanting a treatment plant [who does want to live near one???] on the other hand this is not a third world country, and all people of the world need to do what they can to keep the planet alive. Its really sort of a political opinion it seems. I certainly do NOT think that dumping sewerage far enough away to keep out of sight means it works. Sooner or later it catches up to someone/somewhere etc Global warming, thinning ozone, extinct species, countries at war over land, water, oil etc Pollution is a result of human life unfortunately. Its never ok. I'm with you about being concerned ... but for the general well-being of all, not for Bermuda's beaches. You will love Bermuda and its beaches. The island is clean everywhere. The food is wonderful and the people really treat you with kindness, and care very much that you enjoy your visit. You can indeed drink the water and swim in the water .... as well as we can here in NH .... ???

also from NH

New Hampshire
9. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

I'm glad someone else is interested in this unsettling news. If you type "Bermuda Environment" in any search engine (I used google) this report will come up. I've also seen it in other articles where they discussed how people don't want this sewer plant built (electricity there is very expensive) and who wants that unsightly thing in their backyard considering there's only 22 miles (??? I believe) of land on this beautiful island.

I'm not trying to start trouble but I was hoping visitors could start writing to Bermuda and ask them about checking the beach water quality especially after a storm. You can't tell me that sewage doesn't wash onto the shore during a storm if it's only 3/4 mile off shore. I'm also dismayed to know that this raw sewage is being thrown into the ocean to begin with without treatment. Even the cruise ships can't dump raw sewer into the ocean. I'd like everyone to write to Bermuda government and insist on water checks.

New Hampshire
10. Re: raw sewage dumping in bermuda water

I also wanted to add that the report is from people who live in Bermuda. Bermuda Online is owned and supported by the Royal Gazette, Bermuda's international newspaper. This is written by Bermuda people not outsiders.

I live in Troy, NH by the way. Thanks for your support. We need to save our earth.