We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to go running

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 9
Places to go running

I'm a morning runner and would love to know if there are specific running trails. I'm staying at La Cabana. I like to start running before 7am. Is it safe?

17 replies to this topic
NJ
reviews: 117
1. Re: Places to go running

Malmok area is the best for morning running. A lot of people run there by the sea. But it is not that close to La Cabana.

Lynn, Massachusetts
reviews: 38
2. Re: Places to go running

La Cabana is a perfect place to start.just go across the street and choose a direction...there is a water bubbler right there...we start at the lobby of the Divi AI and go just past the Divi Phoenix for about a 4 mile run... Always just before 7 am....plenty of runners and walkers out...La Cabana is right in the middle of this route...for more distance head along the walkway behind the high rise area....we always stop at Dunks at Alahambra for an ice coffee and end up in the ocean ....nice routine and will be there August 8

Beverly Hills...
3. Re: Places to go running

A good 4-5 miler is head north past Palm Beach to the lighthouse and back mostly on the beach....lovely views. One small plea: Don't run on the PB boardwalk...Dang runners sometimes make me spill my morning Balashi and ruin my cigar! ;)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 21
4. Re: Places to go running

La Cabana to the Light House, I used to run it from Eagle and back. There are a few ways to run it but i think the best is to use the new blue bike lane that they added to the road on Eagle. Heading towards Palm Beach you will cut across the street when it ends and jump onto the dirt/hard pack sand trail that runs along the road. When you get to The Westin you will have the sidewalk all the way past the major resorts and follow the road when it turns right. Then you go left at the end of that road where Aqua condos are being built, you can't miss their billboard and white sales office. Now you run the trail/sidewalk past the 3 Marriotts and past the new Ritz. After that it really gets good. You run the hard pack along the beach all the way to the Lighthouse. When ever the road bares toward the beach go with it! You can;t get lost, you just keep running along the coast. At the LightHouse there is a stand to get drinks and a place to use the bathroom if you need it. I bike this now then go back behind the Lighthouse which has some great views. It's a safe run on all levels but a word of caution, When your running past driveways wether it's a resorts or a home, keep an eye out. They are not expecting someone Jogging/biking so just make sure you are aware. Hey let me know how it go's!

Palm Beach, Aruba
5. Re: Places to go running

All good advice. Or contact me when you're here and I'll show you a few good runs.

Mark

Radisson

mark.lyttleton-frances@radisson.com

CT
reviews: 24
6. Re: Places to go running

I agree with the run towards the lighthouse and back... Just watch out for cars, and run on the shoulder where you can. Start early, and wear sunscreen.

i think the most ive done in aruba is 7 miles or so... brutal

New York City, New...
7. Re: Places to go running

wow - great ideas. I am training for a half marathon in September, so definitely need to put in some mileage when I am on vacation. I also need to shave 15 seconds off my time.

Mark - I will contact you when I am there. If you know of a running group at that time, I would love to join :).

CT
reviews: 24
8. Re: Places to go running

we usually end up going towards the final stretch of our marathon training... And we usually plan the week there as a rest week... with a lower mileage run. You won't really want to run that long!

New York City, New...
9. Re: Places to go running

jasejase - I'm in training mode and need to do a minimum of 15 miles per a week - I figured if I go on a 3 - 5 miles run each day (or at least 3 days), it won't be too taxing on the body. I usually run super early to avoid the heat. I ran a race last night in the heat and my time was 8:45 per a mile, so i think I can run at a slower pace in the caribbean.

I'm doing the opposite. I am running my race and then heading to Turks and Caicos to chill and relax after :).

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 21
10. Re: Places to go running

If you need to add distance you can go behind the Light house and along the back of the Golf Course, It's flat semi hardback with a decent wind to keep you cooler or to add some resistance!

Reply to: Places to go running
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad