We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 116
1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

Dear TA.

Over the last 4 years i've visited the states 4 times, and now it's time to try something new.

My girlfriend & I are looking at Aruba for a couple of weeks (2), and has a lot of questions that we hope you might answer.

1: Weather? We have been in Florida while hurricanes has flown over our heads, and we do not want that to happen again.

2: Transportation? We read about renting ATV's, but is it necessary to rent a vehicle to go around? Are their many "sights" on Aruba, or is it plain swimsuit vacation?

3: Food prices? Eating Breakfast & Dinner for 14 days, not budget, not wealthy, what can we expect to use in $? Our normal food budget is 100$ a day on vacation, but thats in the US where you can eat pretty cheap on diners, etc. Drinks prices in the grocery?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. We are looking forward to the lovely blue water at Aruba's beaches!

/Martin & Kate.

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
1. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

1) Hurricane activity is most unlikely - what are your travel dates?

2) A rental vehilce is recommended for full island activities - the local bus will get you around the hotel area and into town. Touring the desert if a favorite of first time and repeat visitors.

3) One hundred dollars a day for two meals - many inexpensive and moderately expensive places to dine - this should not be a problem. Renting a timeshare with a kitchen would help if you dine in the unit a couple of days.

-------------------------------------

Copenhagen, Denmark
2. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

It sounds all good to us :-)

Travel dates would be around week 26&27 (June 24th-July 7th).

Wouldn't have a problem with dining at "home" but we thought about staying at the radisson.

Ok, will look onto renting a car, but don't think we'll need it the whole stay.

Do any of you have experience with buying prepaid SIM cards with data plans?

Best regards Martin

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
reviews: 54
3. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

If you stay in the Palm Beach area where the Radisson is located you will only need a car if you want to explore the island on your own. You can also do jeep or ATV tours to see the island. Otherwise, there is alot to walk to in and around Palm Beach. You can use taxis or the bus to go downtown. Renting a car is a personal preference - just depends on what you plan on doing or not doing.

North Cape May, Nj
reviews: 9
4. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

The weather should be beautiful. I certainly hope so since I will be in Aruba mid-June.

A car is not necessary if you are staying at the Radisson. I suggest that you take a taxi from the airport and get a feel of the island. If you decide to rent a car or not to rent a car will become more apparent to you in a short time.

Aruba is a very small island and may be explored in a day. ABC Jeep Tours is well regarded on this forum. For the most part, I would consider Aruba to be a laid back beach vacation.

$100 per day for breakfast and dinner is pretty close to what you may expect to pay. Wine and/or drinks at dinner would increase the cost. There are a variety of choices close to the Radisson and on the hotel grounds. Many dinners may cost more than $100, so you will have to balance between moderate and upscale restaurants.

It has been decades since I was in Copenhagen, but I would assume that prices there could easily equal or surpass prices in Aruba.

Supermarket prices will be a bit higher than what you may have paid in the USA. Everything in Aruba is imported.

Boston...
5. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

The weather is great in June. We choose to honeymoon there because there is no threat of huricanes. We have been 3x in June and always had great weather.

Staying at the Radisson is great. We have stayed there 4x and will make it 5 in April. Great location and no car is needed unless you want to tour as others mentioned. Plenty of inexpensive eats close by. I figure on 150 daily with a few drinks. Some days are much more and others less depending on where we go. If you buy your drinks at the bar they add up quickly but you can pick up your alcohol at the duty free shop upon arrival or go to a local shop and save.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
6. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

Aruba is a bargain, compared to Copenhagen.

Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

Thanks for all your answers. I really appreciate them!

Im trying to compare the price difference between staying on a AI hotel & the radisson.. Don't know if Radisson has an AI package available?

Looking so much forward to this trip, it's gonna be great.

Take Care!

Martin

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
reviews: 68
8. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

The Radisson has a package available which includes Breakfast and lunch. Though you live overseas from them, I believe Player's Choice/MCM Tours www.aruba4u.com can assist you with a land only package, but you would need to phone them.

New Jersey
reviews: 4
9. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

That's where we ALWAYS stay when we go. Make sure you are aware that to get a Palapa, you should go at 3PM (or is it 4PM??) You don't HAVE to do it the day before to get one unless it is crowded, but being there two weeks, it gets pretty easy, at least for us, to get into a routine of doing it the day before, just to be safe and get one that we like. On the left is more active, on the right will be a bit quieter, in our opinion.

Pier is just to your left at the beach. Downtown (high rise downtown) is an easy walk.

Ask about what you are interested in. We rented a car one time when we were there to drive around the island for one day (we have been 8-10 times to Aruba), and we regretted it. Some people love doing that, but we were bored to tears.

We tried renting a boat one time in Grand Caymen to do fishing ...just the two of us. I usually get sea sick every time. So I took every thing and put every patch and whatever I could to not get sick and waste the $600. Finally got out to where we where going, and my wife got really bad sea sickness. Never even got my hands on a fishing pole:) Btw, I am not a fisherman, but just wanted to do it once. Wish we didn't blow the $600, but glad that we went by ourselves so that we could go back. Would have sucked to have my wife that sick ALL day. We laugh about it now though. But if you are into that, and do not get sick easily, I think it would be great fun.

We have not decided on when yet, but we will go in either March or June this year too. We always bring wine (we are wine drinkers, and not too much on "drinks",) (you can each bring in three bottles of wine, I believe) and we always get a fridge at the Radisson. Go to one of the supermarket and get cold cuts, bread, mayo, mustard, chips, soda, and anyting else you might want. We also always bring a soft cooler (polar bear) and put ice in it and our wine and bring it to the beach every day. Stays very cold all day. I might walk to the room at make a sandwich for my wife and I and bring it back down for lunch. We like to spend our money on nice meals, although we don't shy away from a budget meal either.

We use this site for help with dining. Sunset Grill is easy, because it is downstairs at the Radisson. An easy walk is Aqua Grill, and we have come to really like it. Lots of really high end "romatic" places, and everyone has their favorites, but to us (and we are serious foodies) we feel that the romantic places are just that, romantic places.

Enjoy yourselves!! And ask away about what you might like or need.

10. Re: 1st time, June, Prices, etc?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad