We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

New Jersey
reviews: 4
A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Here is a heads up for leaving Aruba, get there early folks! http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/?p=38917

Niagara Falls, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Thanks for the heads up

Robbinsville, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Thanks for the info! Hope this is resolved by the time we go at the end of the month!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
reviews: 54
3. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

A friend of ours just left the island yesterday (he and his wife travel to Aruba every year in Sept. for 3 weeks.) They always leave on a Saturday and usually give themselves 2 1/2 - 3 hours prior to their flight. This year, with the travel warnings, they arrived at the airport 4 hours in advance. It took them a full 3 hours before arriving at their gate. Then they held the plane for an extra 30 minutes for the stragglers who did not give themselves enough time. The other passengers on the plane were livid since everyone had been warned and there was no excuse. Alot of people had connections to make and now the flight was late so who knows if they made their connections.

Moral of the story: Until the gov't shutdown is over, plan for 4 hours prior to your flight (especially if you are flying on a Sat. or Sun.)

Queensbury, New York
reviews: 11
4. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Thank you for the info. Will be carefully watching as we leave in 4 weeks for Aruba. First time back in ten years and I just can't wait!!!!

New York
5. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Thanks Amy and Ed... Good to know Also leaving in 10 days and will give an update upon return.

New Jersey
reviews: 4
6. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Picked up a friend from Aruba last night at Newark airport in NJ, It took him a full 4 hours to get through. He was held and profiled for 30 minutes but he need every bit of the other 3 hours and 30 minutes. My July, August and September flights out of Aruba were all held at the gate for 30 minutes while we waited for late passengers to come. Knowing that some on my plane would miss connecting flights as a result is kind of infuriating.

Paramus, New Jersey
reviews: 12
7. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

Our flight last month from Aruba to Newark, we had to wait for 2 families that were caught up in the customs line. Waited about 30 minutes. When we got to Newark, the pilot was instructed to circle for 45 minutes due to air traffic and a storm, but he didn't have enough fuel to circle for that long so we had to land at JFK to refuel. The storm moved to JFK and we were stuck there for 2.5 hours! I kept wondering if these 2 families made it on time maybe none of this would have happened.

There were people who missed their connecting flights at Newark. We were suppose to land at 7:30 but landed at 10:30 pm

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 135
8. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

<<small voice>> Don'tcha kinda wish we could just DRIVE there?!

Aruba
9. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

<<even smaller voice>> please don't blame Aruba for a US problem (being understaffing of US Customs/Immigration on the island, made worse by the shutdown...)!

Not saying forum regulars are 'cause you guys know better, but it's kinda irritating reading in local newspapers about angry US visitors leaving... sorry but you've got no one to blame but your own government for this one....

Massachusetts
reviews: 23
10. Re: A Curent update for Airport Departures, October 2013

I am amazed when I read that an airplane will wait for a passenger. I have the feeling if it were us running late we'd be left behind. Don't they have a cut off time to be at the gate?