We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Which Aruba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 35
Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Just a few thoughts and observations from a recent trip in May. I’m not writing an actual trip report because we do pretty much the same thing every day, Breakfast, beach, dinner. No excursions etc. We just love to relax & decompress. We flew first class, so going thru customs was a breeze as there were no lines. I purchased rum at the duty free shop and no one ever asked about what we were declaring when we left the terminal, no sure what all the fuss was about as far as how much you could bring in? Our luggage came out first. And we took a taxi to the Bucuti. Check in was fast as we have been there before and know the lay of the land. That welcome Champagne never gets old! We unpacked and hit the beach. From landing to beach less that 1.5 hrs…..not bad. Waves were intense most of the week and we saw a few people get tossed around pretty good. Everyone just needs to use caution when entering & exiting and a little common sense and you will be fine. The Bucuti was enforcing the reserving of chairs before 7 am policy. Glad to see and of course, some didn’t listen, so they removed the articles and took them to the front desk. The policy of not serving anyone at the sand bar if they are not guests was also being enforced and Happy Hours were a lot less congested. I know this is not popular with some on this forum, but for me, I welcomed it. Different strokes. We flew out on a Thursday & we allowed 3 hrs and could have done it in less than 1.5 hrs, but we lingered & shopped some. Both flights on United were on time arriving & departing. The weather was a bit unusal as there was absolutely no wind for 4-5 days. It was hot & humid, wow. It curtailed some of our eating plans as we did not want to eat outside for dinner after sitting in the heat all day. The restaurants we ate at were Fishes & More (Always our first night, did not disappoint), Barefoot (One of our favorites, thanks Luc), Windows On Aruba (First time, very nice), Smokey Joe’s ( Ribs are great), El Gaucho (Got to have my Argentine Steak fix), Gianni’s (Good Service, very good pasta), Chalet Swiss (We had not visited in a few years, but returned and were glad), Carte Blanche ( Wow, what a meal, Glenn & Dennis do it right) & Madame Jeanette’s ( Very good as usual).

23 replies to this topic
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 79
1. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Welcome home to the Rain. Sounds like you had a good relaxing trip. Perfect!

Glad airport was quick.

Thanks for your thoughts. I know the trip was in May.

Edited: 6:08 pm, June 13, 2013
Swansea, MA
reviews: 4
2. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like another wonderful vacation at Bucuti. Have you been watching the progress of Elements on the webcam?

Lynn, Massachusetts
reviews: 32
3. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Nice...will be at Druif beach in 2 months

NJ
4. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

BaseballMom, yes we have been watching. Quite impressive, it's like it's not happening in Aruba, going too fast. Looking forward to returning and getting a chance to eat there. Are you returning in Oct?

Connecticut
5. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

I too check in and look at the progress being made a few times a week. There are plenty of workers I see at all times, looks fairly well coordinated. We will be there in November and are looking forward to the changes and at possibly dining at Elements. (Hoping to hear some positive reviews and good buzz once they open to the public).

Swansea, MA
reviews: 4
6. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Twcrea, yes we are booked for Oct 6-15. We were just commenting that this project does not seem to be happening in Aruba time. The new Carte Blanche and gym went up very quickly and Elements seems to be moving along at a very fast pace, not complaining. I just hope outside seating is still planned, just love having breakfast out on the deck.

San Diego...
reviews: 34
7. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time. We leave next Friday and I am going to be relaxing on that beach with my drink. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Amelia Island...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing!

NJ
9. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

We had a great time, and yes, outside seating is planned. They are building a new deck, I think.

Connecticut
10. Re: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May

Yes, they are building a new deck. Here's an excerpt from their newsletter.

PHASE 3 (July 6 - August 11)

The last phase involves the detail work inside the new restaurant including the stylish

interior design and the renovation of our restaurant deck.

Reply to: Just some thoughts from our recent trip in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted