We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Upgrade Question

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 1
Sandals Upgrade Question

My fiancee and I will be staying at Sandals Antigua next week for our honeymoon. Are we more likely to get an upgrade if we do the online check in or should we wait until we get to the resort? Do any of you guys have any opinions? We're booked for the Med. honeymoon ocean view suite room currently.

14 replies to this topic
Haverhill...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

Doing the online checkin helps to speed up your checkin. Instead of sitting in the lobby filling out the papers, you will just proof it, sign it, and let them take a swipe of your credit card to cover any onsite charges you incur. It has no effect on upgrades.

Upgrades are based on availability. If the categories higher than yours are sold out, obviously no upgrades would be available. Don't go in expecting an upgrade - if it happens, great; if not, you won't be disappointed. Best rule of thumb is to always book what you will be happy with.

reviews: 17
2. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

Agree with winnekini. We are sandals select members, always check in online and have just taken our 5th Sandals trip. This past trip was the first time we were ever upgraded.

Go for the room you want (we upped our budget for next years trip to get the upgraded room we just got this year) instead of hoping for an upgrade.

Bromsgrove, United...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

Beach - I agree with the above posts - Sandals give nothing away, very much a 'nickle and dime' attitude in my opinion.

Edited: 8:16 am, July 02, 2014
Waterford, NY
4. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

I don't know about that so much... in the past six or seven years we've almost always gotten some kind of upgrade, and three times they were really good ones, to river suites when we weren't even paying for concierge. The past two years we've requested a specific room and gotten it, which to me is as good as an upgrade.

I've met first timers in Antigua who paid for a base, non-club level room and found themselves in sensational rooms. You never know.

British Columbia
reviews: 7
5. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

I have a question: I've never been upgraded anywhere and have never requested an upgrade. Is it something you ask for at no extra charge? Or do you just hope they offer you one?

Haverhill...
6. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

We have never asked for an upgrade in all our Sandals stays and have only been offered an upgrade a few times, each one at no charge though. We actually turned one upgrade down as we wanted a specific location, and the upgrade was in a totally different area. For us we tend to book during high season (Jan/Feb) so there is very little chance of upgrade availability. We just hope that we will be offered one; but even if not, we know we are happy with the room we booked.

Saratoga Springs...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

Just wondering did you receive an upgrade? We are going next week and thinking it won't be too busy we might get one. Should I ask or just hope they offer

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 17
8. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

We'll be going next week as well, and taking the in-laws with us this time around. This will be our second time to stay at Sandals Antigua, and probably our 6th or 7th time at a Sandals property.

I am under the [possibly false] impression that Sandals upgrades everyone if availability exists. We are Select Members, but not sure which level. My wife and I were upgraded in 2007 on our first visit to a Sandals property in St. Lucia, so I'm not sure if membership/level counts as much as availability. We were upgraded in the Bahamas in 2012 to a Butler Suite (although not with the use of the butler, which was fine for us).

Having said that, I've done a few dummy bookings the last several days, and it seems that several room categories are still available, possibly due to hurricane season and most US kiddos are returning to school. So, I'm expecting a light crowd, relatively speaking, and a good chance of an upgrade. We booked the room we want, so if an upgrade doesn't occur, we'll be fine.

I think the staff has things figured out by the time you get to the property, so I don't think asking would do any good. I think the room you're offered, barring a disaster, is the room you get.

Of course, this is only my opinion/experience.

We stayed on the Caribbean side last time, we're doing the Mediterranean this time around.

Safe travels!

Saratoga Springs...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

Thanks for input. We are on the Med side and read some poor and good reviews so I wasn't sure about this property. How is the shopping in Antigua? Mod they have duty free?

Haverhill...
10. Re: Sandals Upgrade Question

dallas - Previously a guaranteed upgrade was one of the Sandals Select perks, but that perk was removed a number of years ago. I really feel like it's a crapshoot now if you get an upgrade, and who might get one. I've heard of a newbies to Sandals receiving one and long-timers receiving them. We have had very few over our multiple visits, and are worlking on achieving our second free week. So you just never know.......

Reply to: Sandals Upgrade Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted