We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
reviews: 5
honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

looking at this type of room. Wanted the med section but way too expensive.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
1. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Which resort?

What's your actual budget?

nj
2. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Sandals Grande Antigua...sorry thought I put it in the subject but now see I didn't.

Waterford, NY
3. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

We're here now. While the Med section is fancy, you couldn't give me a room there. Everything is completely removed from the landscape and atmosphere that you come here for in the first place. It's elevators and marble all over the place. We're in the 800 block, the anthurium building, and love it. Of course, a lot of people do like the other side, but if I want to feel like I'm in Italy I'll go to Venice again.

Staff is outstanding. Island is beautiful... We rented a car and drove all over today, and enjoyed it immensely. Valley Church beach is flat out gorgeous.

Oldsmar, Florida
reviews: 13
4. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

I'm glad to hear you like the Anthurium Building, Dave. We're supposed to be in that building next month. Are you on the ground floor or upper floor? Is there any view at all?

Waterford, NY
5. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

We're on the ground floor. No view to speak of, other than a lot of lush plants and what not, which we like! The upstairs rooms I suspect have a view out to the ocean.

There is a set of stairs to climb to get here - they're not kidding when they call it the Sunset Bluff! However, if you walk out the path to the right looking at the building, you can get to the big plaza by Marios and the big Med pool in less than sixty seconds, and we are right above the old Caribbean main pool. It is very nice, and I kind of like the privacy of it all. It's very quiet up here, but you are right in the game when you leave, no matter which way you're going.

Strangely, the pool loungers here don't have the big padding on them, but if you go right over to the 600 building just below us, the loungers there are great. We have been bouncing back and forth between the old main pool and the ocean most of the time. I am happy to report that you do not need to play the Chair Game here. This afternoon at the main pool, the entire row of chairs actually sitting in the water of the big Med pool were available, and you can always find something in the shade along the beach fence.

The big knock on this place we were warned about was the vendors, but we have found no problem with that, this week at least. You just say no thanks and that's it. The other day we walked the whole of Dickinson Bay and no one said Boo to us the whole trip.

The one thing that I would encourage anyone to do here is rent a car for the day and go out and see Antigua for yourself. It is very easy to drive here, and you can confidently wander into any store or business anywhere on the island and feel completely comfortable. We hit a bunch of beaches on the west coast - Valley Church was unbelievable - and went down to English Harbour and Falmouth and had a wonderful time. Tropical car rental dropped the car off at the front lobby and picked it back up the next day, and it was a damn nice Suzuki SUV that had no problem climbing the hill to Dennis' Restaurant at Ffryres Beach. I can't recommend this enough. The people at Sandals are thrilled to hear that you actually left the property to go look around for yourself.

Oldsmar, Florida
reviews: 13
6. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Thanks, Dave! At least the hill will help us walk off some of the food we'll be eating. :-) We'll be on the 2nd floor of Anthurium (unless they upgrade us). I really hope we'll be able to see some ocean. Would love ocean view but the rooms were out of our budget.

Can I ask how much it cost to rent the car? We're debating whether to hire a taxi or drive ourselves. A taxi would cost more but I think we may learn more about the island if we have a guide. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Antigua!

Urbandale, Iowa
reviews: 10
7. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Dave when you walked the entire beach which direction did you go? In front of Bayside or towards the other direction? We walked some last year but not very far and want to go further this time.

Waterford, NY
8. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Tropical Car Rental was $113 with the max insurance available and the temporary driver license you have to get. They gave us a very nice Suzuki Vitara 4dr SUV - immaculate. The rental is for 24 hours - they met me at the Caribbean lobby and at the end of the day we parked it in the lot in front of Kimonos and left the keys with the front desk. Completely professional outfit. Booked it online before we came and have since heard of people who paid a hell of a lot more for less.

They showed up 20 minutes late but apologized for it, and hey, it's island time. Cathy gave us a map and showed us how to get through St Johns, and the rest was a snap. Great day.

Do not miss Dennis' for drinks over Ffrye's beach! Turn into the Cocobay resort and follow the sign up the hill.

Waterford, NY
9. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Re the beach question: we went all the way up to the cliffs at the North end. It appears that the over water restaurant at the Rex resort is closed? Been no lights there any night. However, the beach walk is great.

My wife suggested a warning re the Anthurium building: the rooms have two doors, the "main" door at the back of the building and the other door to the patio for persons on the first floor or porch on the second. For anyone on the first floor, there is great fun to be had running back and forth to the front desk every time you lock yourself out because you left through the pool side door and left the bar lock or secondary lock on the front one! Twice now we have been victim of that... I'm at the point now where I'm ready to just prop both doors open all day and hope for the best.

Long Island, NY
reviews: 8
10. Re: honeymoon grande luxe room - anyone stayed in one recently?

Dave- we are arriving tomorrow in the same building on the second floor! Looking forward to it! And coming from NY! When do you stay through ?