We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua Humidity & Hair

Toronto
Antigua Humidity & Hair

I am getting married at the Jolly Beach at the end of November, 06 and was wondering about the weather and humidity and basically if I would be looking at a bad hair day or not.

I would really appreciate any feedback in order that I can plan for a straight hair do or if I should just go with the natural curls instead.

Thanks and have a great day!

Fallston, MD
reviews: 2
1. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

"Serna" ..........

At the tail end of November, humidity should NOT be a problem. However, that said, "Mother Nature" may, once again, confound me.

Now, you must understand, this is coming from a man's point of view ... but we've been on the island 2 times ( at the time of year you mention ) and my wife has always looked great ( hair-wise ) when we arrived. But, somehow ... be it the weather or the water or the sun or the softened water at the resort ...... it's been a monetary expense that has gone "down the drain".

If you have truly "natural curls" ... I wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt that they'll go "flat".

Where I live, we don't have especially "hard" water ... but while on ANU, for whatever reason, my own hair becomes almost "silky" and very "limp". Great for me ... but NOT for my wife.

I think that you "hair" ... somehow, may "know" that it is experiencing a "change" in climate and react to it as it sees fit.

If you've never visited the Caribbean islands before ... you won't anticipate what your hair may be "thinking". If you HAVE .... figure that it will "think" the same as your past experience.

That's about the best that I can offer to you for advice.

I hope you enjoy a wonderful "hair day" for your wedding.

Cheers and best wishes on your special day.

Lake District, UK
reviews: 5
2. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

There's likely to be a breeze from the trade winds, which help to keep things cool. Although humidity shouldn't be a problem, you can get short sharp showers.

Hatfield...
reviews: 90
3. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

I have the opposite problem with my hair in the Caribbean. I have shoulder length hair that is somewhere in between straight and naturally wavy, but down there it tends to frizz if I don't blow dry it straight and then use a bit of product on it. For my wedding, which was in June and thus a bit more humid, I used the hair dryer, a little bit of gel that added shine, and then just used a dainty headband decorated with pearls to keep stray hairs out of my face during the ceremony--it was just off the beach and breezy.

For non-special days, I usually just pull my hair back into a ponytail or a clip when it's wet to prevent flyaways, and just leave it for the rest of the night.

Fallston, MD
reviews: 2
4. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

"ejcrowe" ..........

The "frizz factor" is precisely what plagues my wife's hair when we travel to ANU.

london UK
reviews: 1
5. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

I have found my hair gets affected by the humidity in the caribbean all year round -- would advise the natural look or lots of products!!

6. Re: Antigua Humidity & Hair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Antigua