We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galley Bay rooms

england
reviews: 6
Galley Bay rooms

30th Anniverary next May 2014 and thinking about Galley Bay. Can anyone shed light on the difference between a premium, deluxe and superior beachfront rooms, are the premium that good to warrant the price? or would a superior be just as good but smaller?

Royal Tunbridge...
Destination Expert
for Antigua
reviews: 4
1. Re: Galley Bay rooms

You get what you pay for.

I suggest you use the map on the website to get the actual placing of the rooms in relation to evverything.

Superior. [#s 1 -10]

These are the oldest on the resort . We remember them from the 1960's!! While they have been updated regularly in the interim and are comfortable enough they are small and could do with a major revamp.

Single story Deluxe [#s 11 - 16. NB there is no number 13]

These date from the 1970's and I have a newspaper article [ Daily Telegraph I think] recording that Greta Garbo stayed in #16 in the early years of the decade. Some pictures of her on the beach...boy was she skinny!].

We have stayed in one or another of these every year since 2001 and have been very happy there. Bigger than the Superiors and with a great little patio with day beds on the beach side and this year they added a very comfortable verandah on the land side. Again they have been updated regularly over the years but they are getting rather dated.

2 story deluxe [#s 49 -72]

These are the first half dozen 4 blocks between the main Restaurant and Gauguin.

I think these date from the 1980's and 90s.

Rooms are much bigger and better equiped than the single story rooms. As with everything else at the resort things get updated regularly in Low season. Ground floor opens straight out onto the beach. Upper level rooms have a terrific verandah beach side with views to die for. However the stairs [on the land side] might prove a bit of a trial for anyone not reasonably athletic.

Premiums: [#s17-48 on the Ismay's end and 73 -88 next to the Gauguin]

These are all less than 10 years old and are just bigger and better versions of the 2 story Deluxe. Extremely well equiped unless you are used to staying at ultra modern 6* hotels.

At the moment I think 17-48 are the only rooms which have good wifi but I know they are trying to extend that to all the rooms. They might have done that by next May.

If you can manage it go for the Premiums but the deluxe are fine. That's where we will be next May..like always.

england
reviews: 6
2. Re: Galley Bay rooms

Thank you XRBC, very informative, only thing to do now is finalise the date of travel, oh and the funds...might see you next May

3. Re: Galley Bay rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua