We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel to Antigua

Winnipeg
Solo Travel to Antigua

OK, so I am a 50-ish female, experienced traveller (most of it in my younger days!), wanting to go to Antigua next February...looks like The Anchorage in St. John's would be my base...am I going to be wandering around all sad and lonely or will I be meeting up with other adventurous souls? This last February I spent 2 weeks in Tobago on my own and all was good...all was great! I want to have another good time...any thoughts from Antigua hands would be appreciated...

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 8
1. Re: Solo Travel to Antigua

What are you looking to do Gloria? R&R? What's your budget? By Anchorage you mean Anchorage Inn? Will you be renting a car or using public transport/taxi?

If you're looking to meet new people, I personally would not suggest the Anchorage Inn as the best place. While it is nice, I would say that something in the Jolly Harbour area or English Harbour area would be much better suited to meet people.

At February, a wide range of people will be around mingling at the English Harbour area - places like Catamaran Hotel, Anchorage Rooms, Admirals Inn are located there. Many solo travellers will be there for the sailing season. Not to mention, a wide range of restaurants and bars available, and lots to see and do in the area. You will DEFINITELY meet people if you're in the English Harbour area, if you don't mind that many of these will be in their 20's and 30's. I've also found that there are people older than this in their 40's and 50's frequent English Harbour, so no worries there either.

Winnipeg
2. Re: Solo Travel to Antigua

Yes, I meant Anchorage rooms in English Harbour...will be using public transport...I am very much a beach person...is this too far away from beaches? I stayed at a small fishing village in Tobago and it was wonderful but I wouldn't mind a bit more action on this vacation..Budget would be about $80.00 per day...food, booze, transport...is this unrealistic for Antigua?

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 8
3. Re: Solo Travel to Antigua

@Gloria,

Yes, Anchorage Inn is a good beach location. Pigeon Point beach is about 10-15 minutes walk, while you can get a water taxi to Galleon Bay from Nelson's Dockyard (which is a stone's throw away from Anchorage Rooms).

$80 US per day will definitely be enough, provided you don't dine anywhere too expensive. But there are plenty of options in English Harbour area, so I'm sure you will be fine!

4. Re: Solo Travel to Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua