We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

Hi All,

Looking for some assistance, I'm headed to Antigua next month and right now I'm booked at Blue Waters but I'm second guessing my choice. So thought I'd throw this question out to the forum. Looking to relax but want to be able to enjoy some fun and activities. I know Blue Waters beach is small and not looking for long beach walks so that's ok. But just thinking about considering St James or Verandah. Am I crazy for second guessing. Thoughts on the three choices. Would love to do Gailey Bay but too pricey for me this go round.

Thoughts?? Thanks for any advice, suggestions or comments.

ShanJ

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 7
1. Re: Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

Unfortunately, I don't think that your choices are the best for a single traveller for fun and activities. I'd say that Blue Waters and Verandah are far more family oriented, not to mention away from popular facilities.

I "think" St. James is a bit better, but you may as well go whole hog and go to English Harbour. Several nice beaches, (Galleon and Pigeon Point) lots of restaurants as well. Also lots of people will be around in April. You could try Copper and Lumber or Admirals inn, both within the historic Nelson's Dockyard area in English Harbour. However, everything may be booked up. since it's peak season.

Another option is Jolly Beach/Jolly Harbour. Jolly Beach is a "budget" hotel, on one of the best beaches on the island with a long stretch of beautiful sand, and has great all inclusive rates. There are tons of restaurants, bars, and activities around to do in the Jolly area. In the same area are also a number of villas, which will allow you to self cater. This is easy because there's a supermarket in the area. The best villas would be any on the South Finger, which are close to the main shopping centre

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
2. Re: Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

Thank you for your response... So my gut was right. I'm lookimg at other options I'm mid 40's so not looking for party all night but would love to have fun while there. Just realized it's sail week so that will provide more activity I'm guessing. I'll check out Jolly beach option as well.

Thank you again for your response much appreciated

3. Re: Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:06 am, March 23, 2013
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 65
4. Re: Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

I think I'd recommend Sugar Ridge. Not an obvious choice as it's not right on the beach, but it's a great spot for a solo traveller, with a shuttle to a choice of gorgeous beaches as well as an excellent on-site spa. It's just opposite Jolly Harbour for more to do.

If you want to try the bustle of English Harbour/Falmouth, I'd look at the Catamaran Hotel - they look after their guests amazingly well.

Otherwise, there are some good options at Dickenson - either Buccaneer Beach Club (condo style) or Siboney Beach Hotel, - also not AI. Both are convenient for a number of places to eat and drink or just get out and about.

As a single traveller, I'd strongly recommend against the big, more remote resorts (and that includes Galley). Lots of reasons for this (including the ridiculous room rate for one person).

5. Re: Single Traveler to Antigua-Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua